Phoenix and SL viewer crashes if I look at too many peoples faces?

CottonKiwi Brandi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I love looking around at people, faces and clothing, but if I look at more than five people in a room I crash.  It normally takes about ten minutes if I am looking around and i can last up to half an hour if I am not looking around.  Suggestions greatfully accepted.

(Thank you)

Firestorm 4.3.1 (31155) Dec 2 2012 00:45:37 (Firestorm-Release) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 274,236.0, 345,771.0, 26.0 in GIGGLES BEACH located at sim6030.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.12.84:13003)
Second Life Server 13.02.04.269945
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2491.9 MHz)
Memory: 2722 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 32-bit (Build 9200)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.17.0010.2875
OpenGL Version: 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.2875

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0d zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: firestorm (grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 128
Bandwidth: 1250
LOD factor: 2
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/4,095 (0.0%)

3 answers to this question

The only suggestion I have right now is to list some computer specifications.  The easiest way to get what is needed for help is to click on "About Second Life" under the "Help" menu.  Copy the specs given and paste back here.

Don't start a new thread.  Use the "Options" in the upper right corner of your post and "Edit" to add the specs and any comment you might want to add.

It's probably not people that are causing that.  It's just that your graphics card is getting overloaded. The more you change your point of view and force the card to dlownload and render new information, the more stress you are putting on it.  Be worried about that.  If your machine is just barely powerful enough to meet SL's standards, you may be overheating its graphics card or other key components.  Burning one out can be an expensive catastrophe.

• Like 1

The HD 3000 graphics adapter will run SL.  But it will work best with your preference settings at medium or below.  Rolig has a great point on the camming around putting extra work on the graphics adapter and if your adapter was intergrated any place other than the CPU (which is where that graphics chipset is intergrated) you probably would not be in much danger of overheating the chipset.  However, your graphics and CPU are bundled together which presents a very real possibility of producing enough heat to cause damage to the CPU (that is the heart of any computer.....it goes, your computer is completely down until the CPU is replaced.  An i5 CPU is a little more than $200 USD.........and that's one that is on sale. 

Lower your settings in preferences.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.