second life material problem

Mana Blackheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.

Once again the "material of model is not a subset of reference model" error 

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/8752/99700094.jpg

there is enough info about this in the forum but it makes no sense for me, all the info here claims that this error is due to the LoD having a different material than the skeletal mesh, however I have NO LoD......

I'm working on MAYA and any help is GREATLY appreciated.

"sorry for my poor english"

you always GET LOD. If you dont have any, then the Importer will calculate that for you. Maybe its a problem with the name of your material which disturbs the SL Importer.

However in such cases it might be easier to take a look at the DAE file instead of guessing. So what about publishing it ?

Is there a naming converion for materials on SL? if yes where can I take a look at such thing? and where can I "publish" the .DAE so you can take a look at it? or if you want I can mail it to you, I'm breaking my head with this problem....I even took a good file and check all the "non DAG" objects in the outliner one by one and the only missing thing in my file is a "brush" the other file have.......but now I'm just trowing blind punches at this problem....

What exporter (and version) are you using? The Autodesk 2012, 2013.0 and 2013.1 FBX plugins don't seem to work with SL. At least that's the case for 3ds Max and I suspect Maya uses the same format.

You can download the 2013.2 or 2013.3 version from Autodesk, alternatively you can take your exported fbx or dae file through the 2011.3 FBX converter.

I'm using the exporter that comes with maya 2013, I was going to try downloading another pluging/ exporter HOWEVER I exported other things to be 100% sure and those are working fine in Second life........there have to be something in the file wich makes the error pops up,  I repeat myself but feel I have to " the file works 100% perfect in any other program".

Zbrush, maya, marmoset, UDK, Xnormals, topogun, motion builder.

Whatever is the problem only seems to affect second life, thanks again to everyone and I hope you keep pointing me to any ideas you have on this issue.

I think something in the model is corrupted, importing into 3ds Max gives me the following fbx error:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.
    -Warning: The transform of node "polySurface1" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS.

The file opens, but exporting then importing in SL results in the same error you get. (No idea if the errors are related.)

Unlike your pictures from Maya show, the model was faceted. I don't use Maya, but in 3ds Max I was able to export and upload by setting all the polygons to the same smoothing group. Maybe that's a clue.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

While reading or writing a file the following notifications have been raised.

-Warning: The transform of node "polySurface1" is not compatible with FBX, so it is baked into TRS.

I know about this error. Actually this error even shows up when you export to Collada from Maya and then try to reimport back to Maya. But it seems to be more like a "well i don't like Collada and its not FBX, but ok, lets do it anyways..." thing :)

This problem showed up when i tested how compatible Blender and Maya are. BTW TRS means Translation/Rotation/Scale . And it seems pretty much like the importer can't understand the <transform> matrix...

Someone might have a better explanation for that. So if you can tell how to avoid that warning, we might be able to add an "export for Maya" button to Blender as well :)

So i uploaded your dae file to Blender with no problems. Then i exported the model from Blender to Collada. And that export is accepted by the SL Importer.

Now i am staring at the two files since 30 minutes but i just can not see about why the SL importer complains when i try uploading your file and why it accepts the reexported file from Blender.  (I am using the default SL viewer for uploading)

Odd, taking in mind Autodesk was one of the devs of Collada. Anyway, 3ds Max does the very same as Maya, export a simple box as dae and import it back and the dialog will show the error. I never import dae files really, so I never noticed.

@OP, glad you were able to solve it as well, but I still have no idea what the issue is exactly.

Well yes it fixed it, but it doesn't explain what exactly was wrong as in what part of the collada file (or uploader code) was corrupt.

SL supports smoothing groups alright, well, kind of. If you upload a box, which uses either 5 or 6 smoothing groups, SL will split the verts where different groups meet, effectively disassembling the box into 6 individual entities which then of course have sharp edges between them. This means the box in SL has 4x6=24 vertices instead of the 8 vertices it has in your modeling program.

So the internal SL format doesn't understand smoothing groups (in SL smoothing is determined by a single normal per vertex), but the uploader does (or at least it should :) )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.