installing Starlight Skin on Second Life Viewer for Mac

Shanti Rasa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Trying to install the Starlight skin on the Second Life Viewer. I've copied all the files but then the skin needs to be activated. The instructions say:

Activating a New Skin

1. Start your Second Life client, but do NOT log in.
  2. In the log-in screen, select the skin from the drop-down list - it is next to the "Login" button"
  3. Restart your Second Life client and log in. The new skin should now be active.

However, on my Mac, there is no drop-down list next to the Login button...

HELP! How do I activate the skin on a Mac?

Quickly grabbed this from the wiki:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAC USERS

1. Find the Second Life Viewer 3 application in you Applications folder.
  2. Right click on the Second Life Viewer 3 application icon. You will get a menu.
  3. Choose "Show Package Contents" from that menu.
  4. Open the "Resources" folder and scroll down until you see the "skins" and "app_settings" sub-folders of StarLight.
  5. Make sure you are not actually running Second Life Viewer 3 as you do this.
  6. Copy the files from the folders in StarLight into the Second Life Viewer 3 application folder - this will add in the new skin elements and will overwrite some files.
  7. To uninstall rename the 'panel_login_backup.xml' file to 'panel_login.xml' in the /skins/default/xui/en sub-folder, and 'commands_backup.xml' file to 'commands.xml' in the /app_settings sub-folder.

Hope that helps. Good luck :D

Now there's a good question. I'm not on a Mac, nor am I a Mac user so I can't answer it from experience. However, you might try two options (note: these are just suggestions as I have no experience with the Mac Client)

- Do log in, then in the settings menu choose the starlight skin, then restart the client. (I know this is possible in the PC client)

- Usually, the ALT-button reveals any hidden menu's. Not sure what the Mac equivalent is, but you could try that to find the menu if it exists.

Other than that, perhaps someone else might know the answer. Good luck nonetheless :)

I prefer Firestorm but there is a known problem right now with Mac and the Lion OS and Firestorm and I'm waiting for the next release to fix the problem. Meanwhile FPS are really really low. I can't move or type. Hence SL Viewer with the Starlight fix for better user experience...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.