How do I upload pictures onto Second Life?

Fidelity Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would like to learn how to upload pictures ect into Second Life.  I presume I can upload any photo or picture from my computer or desktop into Second Life.

I have the latest version of Second Life, and I can find no File button on the SL viewer that might enable me to upload anything.

I need to know what the very first steps are in uploading anything .  Also where the File button might be located.  It is nowhere at the top of my screen.

I know I have more than one question, but I wonder if anyone can give me some info on what the first steps are.

From a total beginner.

Fidelity.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

In the SL viewer V-3 once you are logged in click on the "Build" menu at the top of the viewer interface. 
Then hover your mouse over "Upload".  You'll see all the options available for uploading to your inventory. 
In your case, choose "Image ($L10)"  You'll get a dialog to tell the uploader where your photo is located on your computer.

Find your picture, then click okay to start the upload. 

Every picture/Texture you upload will cost a fee of 10 Linden.

• Like 3

iCade is spot on for the mechanics of uploading any picture, image, or texture to SL.  There are a couple other things you want to be aware of in order to get a good product once it's uploaded to SL.  Perhaps the most important is that SL only supports a four image formats......JPG, BMP, TGA and PNG.  All those formats are lossless (meaning no compression) except JPG.......I advise to never use that format because the quality is disasterous.  The other major thing you need to be aware of is that the OpenGL rendering engine that SL is coded for needs the images/textures to be sized at powers of 2 alone both the horizontal and vertical deminsions.  The powers of 2 are 1, 2, 4, 8, 18, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc (those probably sound familar to you since almost everything computer uses the powers of 2 for memory and disk size).  If you fail to size the image before uploading, the SL software will do it for you to the closest power of 2 on each deminsion that is not already at one of the power or 2.....it always uses the closest power of 2 that is smaller in size (for example if you upload an image that is 300 pixels by 256 pixels, the SL software will resize the image to 256 by 256.........and your image will be squeeshed horizontally).  I know that sounds complicated if you don't know anything about image formats or sizes but, in reality, it's pretty simple.

A good place to start:

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/109/e6/150360/1.html

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.