ESL or ISL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anyone who is interested in language might find this article interesting. I know the GD Forum, while limited to English, is inhabited by a great many people who were not born to the language. This article starts by explaining how American English came to be codified thanks to Webster (and why some of you get a clue about where I grew up when I tell you my favorite color), all of which was new to me.

It goes on to discuss all the best known variations: Spanglish (the only one I'd heard of), Konglish (Korea), Singlish (Singapore), and Hinglish, which as you'd expect is Hindi based, but in fact also blends in Punjabi and Urdu. It appears that an entirely new Internet language has appeared/will soon appear in which all of these are concurrent. I kind of like that.

Right now I'm a little bit blur about it all but I think I have time; no need to airdash.

Ha! I'll bump it, too for the same reason: spamming atm is multiple invitations to watch NFL football games (while being phished beyond your wildest dreams, not doubt). So I'm not self-serving at all.

I didn't think there would be any response to the OP—there's really nothing to which one can respond. If I like, had a blog or something, I'd have put it there. I did think the article would interest people and I didn't have anyplace more appropriate to mention it.

i read that link you made. is quite interesting

i know is lots of english people go wut wut when they see their language get mangled sometimes

but is a real strength of english language is that it so adaptable. more than any other language i think. not just words but the rules of it as well. and how it just swallows up other languages constructs and meanings even

could be alot worse tho if you are a proper englisher. like the interwebz common language coulda turned out to be french (:

16 wrote:

could be alot worse tho if you are a proper englisher. like the interwebz common language coulda turned out to be french (:

Oh, man. Val is going to come down on you like une tonne de briques for that!

I thought the most interesting part of the article had to do with the 'new' words. Combining words to make new ones, or using lesser definitions of existing words to use them in new ways. Very cool.

Phil Deakins wrote:

16 wrote:

i know is lots of english people go wut wut when they see their language get mangled sometimes

I've never gone "wut wut" in my life. It sounds like an underpowered motorcyle engine and I wouldn't know how to make such a sound :smileytongue:

jejejejjeje (:

woop woop

am a chopper

q; (:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

I thought the most interesting part of the article had to do with the 'new' words. Combining words to make new ones, or using lesser definitions of existing words to use them in new ways. Very cool.

lol i hope not about Valerie. i was just think about them poor english and americans who would all have to learn how to mangle french (:

+

yes i think so as well about the combining in new ways

like i am prepone the  convo with Valerie (:

16 wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

lol i hope not about Valerie. i was just think about them poor english and americans who would all have to learn how to mangle french (:

+

That's 'pre-pone' - with a hyphen. You can't go round inventing new words and grammar, just because you want to :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

16 wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

16 wrote:

+

That's 'pre-pone' - with a hyphen. You can't go round inventing new words and grammar, just because you want to
:)

can so

someone invented postpone. i think means they going to pone that later. dunno exactly. sounds right tho

is not like say. postman tho

ejjejeje (:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.