First time renting out land, what to expect?

gaycommunist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm going to rent out a 512 lot for whatever my client likes, really, but I am thinking I will put a very nice little skybox on it and market it as a starter home. I want to give a bit of a discounted rate on this parcel, below 200 lindens maybe, because I'm using my free 512m that came with Premium to rent this out, and I don't think it would be fair to charge much more when I'm marketing it as a starter home.

The neighbouring lots are quite ugly. One is bordered all around by tropical jungle privacy screens (this is a Korean-named, grassy-mountain textured region mind you...), the other is a very ugly lingerie shop whose walls are made entirely of glass, and a third is what seems to be the military base of some fictional Sovietesque state. Another one of my neighbours-to-be seems to have bought a parcel for the sole purpose of dropping their boxes all over it. On the horizon you can see an American flag as tall as the CN Tower. Though I am using a skybox I am wondering if this would still effect the price (just in case my renter wants to use the ground for something and is disgruntled to see so much ugly stuff.)

What should I rent this parcel for? How do I successfully market it so I get a buyer fast? What should I invest in?

Thanks in advance!

gaycommunist wrote:

Though I am using a skybox I am wondering if this would still effect the price (just in case my renter wants to use the ground for something and is disgruntled to see so much ugly stuff.)

My advice would be not to let the "ugly stuff" on the neighbor parcels on the ground effect the price if you purely advertise it as a skybox rental. If the renter wish to use the ground it is up to him and/or her, but not your intent with the rental.

gaycommunist wrote:

What should I rent this parcel for? How do I successfully market it so I get a buyer fast? What should I invest in?

The price should at least cover the cost and give you profit, what else would the meaning be to rent out? Maybe not the first months, but calculated to pay off in the long term at least. In the cost I include investment in gadgets, furniture, skybox, marketing etc.

I would invest in a security gadget for privacy, a nice furnished low prim skybox with many usable functions or empty one that you fill with low prim furniture with nice animations and good functionality.

I'd also add the ability to play music or videos perhaps as well and control the lightning and locks of windows and doors. If possible a little outdoor area with the whole skybox "encapsulated" in a big sphere to enhance the experience of nice environment.

In the advertising, high light what makes your skybox stand out to all the others existing, think of how what would make you choose this one over the others available for maybe even a lower fee?

Good luck!

I would look for a contemporary furnished house that is specifically built for a 512 lot with a a separate bedroom and a bit of outside area such as a deck or porch.  People shopping for that price range aren't going to have a lot to spend on furniture and would therefore have to rely on freebies which generally are not low prim and would get frustrated with not being able to have much furniture. 

It would be nice if it had security, and a radio.  As far as a TV, that's a pretty steep investment for a low rent house and not everyone cares for them, so I'd leave it to them to get one if they want it.  Lockable doors are not really needed in a skybox and neither are privacy windows.  However if you find a nicely furnished place with them it would be an added bonus.

I wouldn't go for anything more than 92 prims total to give them the rest of the 25 prims to rez personal items, which is about as low as practical.   If the house is not built specifically as a sky box you can always mod it to remove doors to that go outside to nothing, simply make them fixed or put it on a platform.

Not everyone cares for scenery around their house and personally I would prefer those prims be used for a nicer house.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.