Follow Me! -- An Ode to Code -- the Movie by Natascha Randt and Karima Hoisan

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This piece for me was an intriguing insight into an artist's perspective of the scripter's thought process, among many other things.  The use of wireframe imagery and real LSL code snippets in monochrome illustrated some of the aspects of scripting in a virtual world well, and the slow pace and gentle feminine curves and realistic motion of the main character alluded to the realism of the result of all this coding.  

Don't you just hate the "however" part of it?  However, for me scripting is about four or eight times faster in my mind most of the time than this video's luxurious speed.  Also scripting is colorful, color coded, and full of imagery of data structures, event blocks, interdependencies, and temporarily memorized code snippets.  Scripting for me personally tends to be an often caffiene-fueled speed racing event where I push the limits of my ability to code much of the time.  

Not that there aren't slow and medium times and monochrome wireframe moments also, it's just that scipting for me is more of an exciting adventure than a provocative and thoughtful embrace of the virtual.  Now, having said my "however" part, I'll close by saying that this video is way up on my list of excellent videos worth watching and I highly recommend it.  I'd like to see more machinima made like this, and perhaps one of them that's more of a speed racer engine throttling zoom zoom blow your mind away scripter's sustained explosion/exertion of creativity video as well.  My compliments to the creators of this one - now go watch it!  

emSynth

That's a lovely piece.  Thank you, Innula.

I'm taken by the hypnotic music as much as anything.  It suggests the sort of detached, Dali-esque quality that you can get in SL on those days when you feel abnormally immersed.  Perhaps it's reflecting what's in the mind of the machine. 

The film captures, more than anything, the sense that I have as a creator.  I have written programs in many languages over the years, always with the sense that I was translating a logical sequence from my own mind into something tangible in the real world.  Until I started writing in LSL, however, I could never see my creation so clearly.  LSL scripts make my imagination into my world. This film comes close to expressing that.

• 8 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.