handshake error when i log in

LynnBeauty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i read all threads and help stuff.but didnt help at all. so frustrating, tried hundreds time to log in and just stuck in the handshaking step, but like two or three times i made it, even could talk with some online friends. but i couldnt teleport, and one time when i opened my friend`s profile, game just crashed. please help me because i really need the game. i submitted a ticket and they told me to pay money to upgrade my account to get more help. what should i do ?

You usually get a handshake error message if there's a firewall blocking access to SL.  It could also happen if your anti-virus routine is being a bit too aggressive.  Norton does that, in particular.  If you are in a home environment, you probably have personal firewall and antivirus programs on your computer, so you'll need to be sure that they have explicit whitelist instructions to leave SL alone.  If those routines update to new versions regularly, you may need to check those exceptions periodically to be sure that they are still in place.

See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539 for firewall information and  http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/antivirus_whitelisting for anti-virus advice.

If you are in a corporate or campus environment, your IT department probably has system-level software.  You can't do anything about that, but talk to them and see if them are wiling to whitelist SL for you.  Finally, it is possible that your ISP limits bandwidth at certain peak load times.  This is a common practice in the UK and Europe, for example.  Ask your ISP if that's the case in your area.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4193 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.