TPV to revoke debit permissions

xigaro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry of this is the wrong forum to post :matte-motes-smile:

I am looking for a third-party viewier that can revoke debit permissions from a running script which I had previously granted debit permissions to. Can anyone recommend one? I can't see the option in Firestorm but maybe I am missing something.

The reason! A naughty monkey found a flaw in my affiliate skill game and nabbed about L$15k from me in prizes (tut tut) by revoking debit permissions and playing the game. I never received the entry money but my script happily dished out prizes. That'll teach me. I now want to use llTransferLindenDollars(), the transaction_result() event, and llGetPermissions() but I want to make sure it all works as intended before releasing it into the wild.

Is this something TPVs can readily do? Or is it some underworld-naughty-monkey-app  that only 'orrible people have?

Thanks in advance :matte-motes-tongue:

The only ways of which I know to revoke debit permissions is to reset the script, request a new set of permissions, or give the object containing it to someone else.   If you can do it from any tpv, that's news to me.

What I'd suggest is using states -- ask for debit permissions in state default, and only move into state running when you get them.   Then, in state running, go back to state default if the owner changes or or_rez (though it can't do any harm to check if (llGetPermissions()&PERMISSION_DEBIT) before doing stuff in state running, and go back to default if you find you don't have permission.   

No legitimate viewer would have this functionality, as far as I can understand. It's against the Third Party Viewer Policy to allow features that affect permissions any differently than LL viewers do.

I'm unable to find the source for belief in this however, so would happily accept being wrong. You are welcome to Google for the TPVP. If you have the name of the person who did this, I would recommend filing an abuse report explaining the situation, and ideally giving the region where it happened. That way LL can determine whether the ToS or TPVP were violated.

ETA: Strikedthrough as the information in my post is incorrect :D Mea culpa and etc!

From the LSL wiki: "Once the PERMISSION_DEBIT permission is granted there is no way to revoke it except from inside the script (for example, with a new llRequestPermissions call). The script will only lose the permission if it is reset or the object is derezzed (deleted, detached, or taken)."   So you're not going to be able to revoke the permission from another script, with or without a TPV.  If you want to revoke permission, you'll have to build that option into your script.

I did use state changes in my previous script. A Linden kindly looked through my script and confirmed that it could only be revokation of debit permissions by the naughty monkey stopping my llGiveMoney() call from working as it should. He said that some TPVs can do this.

Using llGetPermissions() right before making a transaction is an okayish test. There is an ultra-slim possibility that permissions could be revoked between the permission check and llGiveMoney(), so I'd like to use llTransferLindenDollars() with transaction_result() for double sanity. My code looks safer now but I really want to test how robust it is.

Fool me twice, shame on me. lol :)

EDIT: More information about what happened from Maestro Linden, edited to protect the guilty:

It looks like the llGiveMoney() payment from the script to you failed without even attempting a L$ transaction. Since L$ was otherwise working on the sim, I suspect that you hit a script permissions issue; [naughty monkey] could have revoked PERMISSION_DEBIT while the script was in the 'active' state, preventing llGiveMoney() from working (various 3rd party viewers allow users to do this).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.