Permissions Question

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unfortunately the BB chat is down, and I have thoroughly confused myself with this. This isn't the first product I made but the first product where I wanted to set part of it without perms at all...which isn't possible. I need help x3

I made grass, 1 prim. Inside that grass is a particle script.

What I wanted to do was have the grass copy - mod - no trans and the script no copy - no mod - no trans

However SL won't let me do that with the script. I don't want the script copyable, I do not want it as mod, which leaves me with the transfer option. Would this even work since the grass itself is copy? Could people rez the grass 10 times, have that script 10 times and transfer it 10 times?

See my confusion? What perms should I set on the script? I really do want the grass to be copy, mod and no trans, but I don't want people to be able to use the script inside for anything else but that certain grass D:

You cannot make a script  no C/ no M/ no T..

In such a case you usually make the script only copy, so that the customer is able to copy the entire object of course.
Thats all..

Object COPY/MOD + script ONLY COPY = Object is copiable and modifiable and Script is only copiable

But if the script is copyable, they could take it into their inventory and apply the sparkle effect to any of their other grasses, which would defeat the purpose of my sparkle grass line, or is that faulty thinking on my part? I do not want costumers to be able to simply put the script into other grass bases :3

Well, if you allow copy and modify permissions for your object then you have to live with the fact that some people will put it into their own grass objects or will add another personal touch to the object. And still others will modify anything because they want to use it for a completely different purpose.

But why would that defeat the purpose of your grass line ? That makes no sense :) They purchase it from YOU.

And it is not transferable so what can they do with that script ?? First of all using the Grass as it is,  because that's the main reason why they buy it...

Yes.. Maybe 3 or 4 of thousand customers will insert the script into their own objects because they probably have own grass which they like more than yours.. But they are happy that they can do that and that's usually the intension of copiable and modifiable products.

If you dont like that people can do that then you need to change the Object permissions to modify/Transfer and the script to only transfer.

I don't wory about that problem when I write custom scripts, because they are designed for a specific purpose and would be useless in anything else.  So .... do the same with your script.  Code it in such away that it will only work in your grass, and then make it no mod so that no one can see how you have done it.  One simple ploy is to include an if test in its touch_start event (or whatever event turns the particle effect on):

touch_start(integer num){    if (llGetCreator() == "a822ff2b-ff02-461d-b45d-dcd10a2de0c2")  // Put your own UUID here   {        // everything works properly    }}

If someone copies the script and puts it into an object that you didn't create, iCade, then it won't work, and they'll never know why either.  I'm sure you can think of other ways to sabotage your scripts like that.

• Like 1

What about my original intentions however, would they work?

Grass: Copy, Mod, No trans

Script: No Copy, No Mod, Trans ?

I intend to make all sorts of grasses in different shapes and such with this effect, if people could simply copy the script into their own grass then it would defeat the purpose of having all these different grasses to begin with. I do like it when things are copy, thus far every single product I made has been copy, mod, no trans, but in this case I think I will go with the no copy, no mod, trans suggestion you have made.

Sort of along the same lines (and I really like Rolig's solution), the script I use calls on the object/s by name, and their prim names, so won't work with other named objects.

Like you, I sell my items copy/mod/no trans....but sometimes they include copy/no mod/no trans scripts. I make the scripts copy because otherwise it would defeat the purpose of the object being copiable.

I can appreciate why you want your special feature to remain unique to your product line.

Best of luck :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.