You must think im dumb but im just new BASIC QUICK HELP !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i used Photshop for the first time in my life because i found an excellent tutorial for rookies to creating skins, and it said i only needed photoshop.

So I kind of finished my 1st messed up mesh to finally try it on aditi and i finished it a saved it as a .PSD file. But i need to convert the .PSD file into a .DAE file to upload it to SL. AND-I-DONT-HAVE-A-CLUE! On how to do that !!! im just that new  =)

I tried with Saving As but no .DAE option appears... And I tried with Open As and selected the file a clicked on the .DAE option but a message appears that says "The Photoshop 3D file format could not parse this file"

Is there any good soul here willing just to explain me how do i make of my .PSD file a .DAE one? Or tell me what should I do in like a design-for-dummies words?

Thanks for helping me !

SS !

Hmm So let me get this right? You are painting the skin onto the avatar in photoshop in 3D mode? If this is the case. You really only need to export the Image that has been UV mapped and import to SL and apply skin for shape in world. Hopefully you used a sufficient avatar with proper UV map

Photoshop does not support DAE export. The best you would be able to do is export the OBJ and import it into blender or any other program and can save objects to DAE

For mesh you needs both tools. Blender or any type of 3d Modeling program that supports collada export and photo shop for touching up textures. You can save OBJ files from blender and import to photoshop

In your layers panel  of photoshop, you should be able to double click the edited image and it will open then save it to hard drive

No question is dumb, It's how we learn :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much Gilbert !!! :matte-motes-smile: for taking the time, your answer got me a bit more knowledge and at this begginer spot i am thats very recomforting.

The thing is that i didnt explain myself quite good :matte-motes-tongue: and because of my lack of experience im still out in the blue here.

To give you more info of what i was doing is that I checked out this tutorial and tried to make myself my own face so i can use it on SL using this tutorial:

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/109/e1/246059/1.html

So basically what i did hoping and crossing fingers not to screw it up was that I downloaded a Head template file .PSD and i superimposed one picture of myself .JPG and started working on it the best way my understanding let me to (just opened this trial version of CS6 loaded the template, superimposed the .jpg, worked on it a bit, and saved, as is).

The final result of it was this .PSD file that i have saved. But now im blocked and dont know what to do next to convert it to .DAE  ... maybe you already answered my question and i cant seem to understand it yet. 

So maybe what i need to do is get myself this Blender program and that program will allow me to convert this .PSD to a .DAE?? and that would be it?

Thaaaannks again ! :matte-motes-smile:

A bit confused on what you are trying to create.  If it is an avatar skin you are creating then you want to save it as a 2D texture like .tga (Targa) or .png (several other options, but from what I've read these are the better two).  A really brief explanation of avatar skins here (click here)

If it is a mesh you are creating then a .dae (collada) file is what you want, but if I understand correctly Photoshop can reference collada files (for the purpose of creating textures on it) but it can not export collada files.  Found the info here (click here)

• Like 1

Okay I see what you are wrking with now.

You can not convert a PSD to DAE. You are not even working with a 3D object with this tutorial. The video I supplied shows how to use 3D objects in PS. You are only working with an image template/ UV map.. You save the final image as targa file and upload it to SL. then create a new skin from your inventory and ad the image for the head, body and lower body sections and then wear the skin. the skin will be applied to your shape in world

You can only convert 3d objects to dae...

• Like 1

Thank you Knutz ! :matte-motes-smile: I read the info you sent me and I found it truly good tough I still have my problem.

I am still a bit confused myself even on the terminology since i am totally new at this :matte-motes-asleep-2:. What i am trying to create, at least i think, it is a Mesh.

So using photoshop CS6 I opened this Head Template .PSD file  I downloaded and I superimposed a picture .JPG of my own face to it and alligned it the best I could (following the tutorial I quoted before). Then I saved it, so I have this .PSD file saved now.. my major problem here is that I dont know how to convert that .PSD file into a .DAE file so that I can upload the .DAE file to SL since photoshop wont let me do that. What can i use or do to convert it?

Hope I you have the answer to this :matte-motes-tongue:

SS.

Just scanned the tutorial you gave the link to and I'm not finding .dae, collada, or mesh anywhere in there.  I think you are just confusing yourself with concepts you picked up somewhere else.  From the contents of the tutorial I feel it is safe to say you need to save your creation as a 2D texture like .png or .tga or .jpg and proceed just as Dilbert said.

Collada, .dae, and mesh are 3D modeling terms that do not apply to what is being done in the tutorial.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for sharing your knowledge. This is trully a very helpful community ! im taking everybodys advices, to go and learn myself a good way to do things.

:matte-motes-asleep-2:

p.s DILBERT I SENT YOU A MESSAGE CHECK YOUR INBOX PLS !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.