Why did you FORCE an update to the Viewer? You ruined it...

MiaE1488304199

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Since you forced this damn update, I can't put the menus where I want..i can't put the IM windows to open where they were,..it seems to be in what awasw formerly known as "Basic mode" when logging in, meaning if I click on someplace my avi walks tehre even thought I don't want it to....Why was this so necessary to force a change to something that is so vastly INFERIOR to what I have been using? Even m ovements are jerky now, not the smooth, fluid movement I had. There's an old saying "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"!! I am strongly considering leaving SL for this reason... :(((((((

9 answers to this question

First of all, I didn't do anything.  Nobody here did.  We are all SL residents like you.  Lindens never come here, so you are wasting a pointless, somewhat childish rant.

Second, and more important, no update is forced.  (Well, not quite true.  Two years ago Linden Lab had a forced upgrade to cure some security problems, but they haven't done it since then.) If you don't want your viewer upgraded automatically, just turn off Automatic Updates in Preferences.  If you forgot to do that, and you want a previous version, just download and install the old version again >>> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes .  If you want Version 3.3.4, for example, look for the link on that page (it says https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.3.4 ) and click on it to see the download information.

• Like 1

Aww sorry that you are having trouble.

Do you know what Viewer release number you were, (or are now) using?

You can revert to an Older Viewer Release.

I will post a link with the release notes and installers.

Is Auto-update on? It can be turned off in preferences. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:Release_Notes

I'm guessing release 3.3.4, or 3.3.3 might work. idk

Unless your talking super old like 1.23; that would be a better topic for Discussions.

• Like 1

Thanks, George. All 3.x versions, all the way back to 3.0 (which was released in August 2011) are still available for download and installation at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes , so there's nothing mandatory about moving to a particular version within that range. True, you cannot download versions 2.x or 1.x any more, but there's little reason for going back that far.  The BETA viewers do have mandatory upgrades occasionally because they are truly experimental and may contain design issues that could cause damage in world if not superceded.  It may be one of those that Hitomi was talking about.

It was 3.2.4 which had indeed been blocked from accessing SL and required an update, but I see on that thread that Moon later posted that it had been temporarily unblocked. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Was-Viewer-2-blocked-today/m-p/1683559#M16409

EDIT: Actually this is what Hitomi had posted

"It appears that all of the Viewer 2 and Viewer 3 viewers prior to 3.3.0 have been blocked."

You got a forced update because several viewer version were depreciated . Basic mode no longer exists

The following viewers were removed from the list of Active Viewer Releases a couple days ago
*  Second Life Viewer version 3.2.8 (248931)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.2.6 (248086)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.2.5 (247236)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.2.4 (246439)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.2.1 (244864)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.2.0 (244443)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.1.0 (243176)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.0.3 (240895)

*  Second Life Viewer version 3.0.0 (238864)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.8.3 (238392)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.8.1 (237758)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.8.0 (236429)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.7.5 (235722)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.7.4 (235167)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.7.2 (233432)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.7.1 (232828)

*  Second Life Viewer version 2.6.9 (231165)

• Like 2

I agree with you. I used an older version. 3.00. My laptop cant handle more than that, so this forced update just killed me on second life, good job Linden Lab you're on a good way to desertification. Im dead now, looks like i reached the end of my SL.

R.I.P to my avi Gabri Koskinen  2008 - 2012

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.