iPads

Sparkling Miami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

The other answers are right. No iPad app for SL... at least not one like what you want.

One of the big problems for SL going mobile is the data demand for bandwidth. Another is the graphics demand. Apps tend to use HTML5. SL uses OpenGL. Both Androis and iOS support OpenGL ES, which is a stripped down OpenGL for mobile apps. ES tends to run behind OpenGL. 

Theoretically SL can get by with OpenGL 2.0... or could. The OpenGL ES 2.0 is similar toOpenGL 2. On desktops OpenGL is 4.2+.

Some video cards in desktops cost more than an iPad or iPhone. 

My point is: the graphics on mobile apps is behind what is needed by SL. Both the GPU power and bandwidth needed are problems. Making getting SL on a mobile device unlikely. I suspect the new CreatorVerse tool for iPad is a serious step toward building tools and knowledge needed to port SL to a mobile app.

I'm guessing it will take years for the mobile devices to mature and for the Lab to create a mobile app for SL.

The problem is not that Second Life cannot be played on pads or tablets, but that pads and tablets cannot handle Second Life. Technology needs to catch up, Second Life is a virtual reality, mobile devices are for real reality. What you need is a good machine and a room. When the technology is developed enough to handle a virtual world on the go, then we can be logged in anywhere, anytime, from any device.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.