I can't seem to get the in-world movies to work for me.

biojerk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all. I've had this issue pretty much ever since I've joined SL about 11 months ago. I've never been able to watch movies in the in-game theathers. Whether they are flash player or quicktime. I am able to watch these formats in my internet browser however. And I've tried taking down my firewall and all virus blockers and such. My computer shouldn't be blocking any file from playing. But each time I try to watch a movie I get the error of :

The following Media Plugin has failed:
media_plugin_quicktime

please re-install the plugin or contact the vendor if you continue to experience problems.

And I have all up to date software with Quicktime and Flash even. 

-------- 

edit: I tried that, and it's still not working for the Quicktime. Got Flash player to work. But for some reason I still can't get Quicktime working. 

2 answers to this question

In order to play Flash format videos (eg YouTube videos), you must have the generic Adobe Flash plugin installed. If you use IE as your web browser and already have Flash, you will need to get the generic Flash plugin; see here. linux users need to have gstreamer installed, with the “bad” plugin set.

If videos are not playing or you have a black or blank search page, please do the following:

• Go to Avatar → Preferences → Sound & Media
  • Make sure the “Enabled” checkbox to the right of the “Media” slider is checked
    (For audio, check “Streaming Music”)
  • Check “Allow resident scripts to play media”
  • Make sure you have updated both Flash Player and Quicktime. See above concerning the Flash plugin.
  • Make sure the issue is not with the specific television you are using, by attempting to view videos on a television that plays video normally for other Firestorm users.
  • Make sure that “Enable plugins” is ticked in Preferences → Network & Cache, else Flash Player or Quicktime can not be executed, and you may see a message saying: Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback.

Keep in mind that there was rolling restarts going on last night.

Also, do you remember if you made changes to any group title you have active at the moment? If so, it may be that you need to get the title changed back somehow. Some characters cause an error like the one you get preventing people to log in if used in a group title.

ETA: Rolling restarts on the RC regions...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4250 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.