Texturing LOD 4

Madeliefste Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a problem with the way LOD 4 shows my texture.

I made the LOD 4 mesh like in the picture on the right side. As you can see the UV map is made in such way that almost the whole pattern design fits the mesh.

On the left side you see how the mesh appears in SL. LOD 3 still shows the pattern of the textures correct. However if you zoom out to level 4, the LOD 4 shape is shown as expected, but the texture doesn't appear like it was mapped. I see only five dots that are heavily strechted.

LOD4Texturing.png

How can this happen, what is going wrong here?

I was waiting for someone else to answer. The only thing I can think of is that the UV map for LOD4 is not right. It's the sort of thing that happens in Blender when you remove edge loops by merging vertices and forget to adjust the UV map to take account of the vertex movement on the model but not the uv map. Now we have the dissolve function that avoids this problem. As you are using C4D, I can't give any specific advice, but it may be something similar.

The lowest LOD of that one shows correct.

But I did some other experiments, and I'm getting somewhere in analysing the problem, not in finding a solution yet.

The next picture shows on the left both meshes in the same scene in C4D, on the right the UV map applied to the texture.

LOD4 in c4d.jpg

Now what I did is delete the box from the scene first, and save the bag as a LOD1 dae.
The I used undo to get the box back in the scene, and I deleted the bag, I saved the box as LOD4 dae.

Now when I upload to SL I use the bag mesh for LOD1. LOD2 en LOD3 are generated from this mesh, for LOD4 I do upload then LOD4 mesh. Next picture is showing LOD3 and LOD4 in SL:

LODproblemSL.jpg

As you can see, the front side is not projected on the LOD4 as a front side, but as a top side.

So the problem is how SL links both different meshes to each other, during the upload proces.

What we see in the very first picture in this thread is not pixel stretching. But the uv map was different in that picture. The top and the sides of the box where not uv mapped in the blue part of the texture at that time, but in the part with the pattern. So there we see also the same thing happening. The front of the box show not the texture that belongs to the front of the box, but the one that belongs to the top.

I think I know what the issue is looking at your second go, it doesn't explain your first issue with the stretched UV though.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like your box was rotated. Because the bounding boxes are matched by the uploader, it's not that obvious. Look at you rotations in C4D and see if they match, I have no clue how to do that as I don't use C4D myself. I hope this puts you back on track though.

EDIT I see you fixed it by rotating, I missed that part. (Scaling it makes no difference as I said) Still if you match the pivots in C4D, you won't be stuck with a rotated box in C4D.

Happens to me every now and then when I build one LOD from the front viewport and another from the top.

Kwakkelde, it's C4D, not Blender.

Madelfieste, in Blender that is the problem you would get if you rotated one relative to the other in Object mode and didn't apply the rotations - even though they look the right way round in Blender. As Kwak says, the rotated box in LOD4 is then stretched and squashed to fit it into the bounding box of the high LOD mesh. I don't know whether there's something similar to Object mode rotation in C4D. Congratualtions on solving it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.