Delivering the Promised Shiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the time I have been here, there have been several new pieces of shiny announced.

Their arrival has been slow to happen, and associated with obvious bugs when it does.

Can we trust the Lindens to deliver on their promises?

Should they spend a few months on the basics of delivering a reliable Grid? I don't have any use for Pathfinding, I admit, and many of the things I come to SL for have become worse during the long delivery process. And it is only now that you have realised you have to fix groups, and how HTTP is used, and sim-crossing, and the cching system, and....

And now I hear of outsiders being brought in, of Mesh deformers and materials. I hear of added complexity, and more data to download, when so often SL if failing to deliver textures for what seems like an age.

I hardly need to ask the question. If Linden Labs were a pizza shop, I'd be on a diet.

can say that we have had more bug fixes in the viewer in the last 2 years than we had in all the other years put together pretty much

+

is some things that cant be fixed bc is not a bug. was poor design way back when in the early days. linden acknowledge this many times

will take a total redesign and rewrite to fix groups. same with textures. linden are rewriting the textures part now in the shiny project. dunno when they will do groups

the main problem linden got with doing total rewrites is that they have to do in a way that not break existing content. is not easy that 

arabellajones wrote:

In the time I have been here, there have been several new pieces of shiny announced.

Their arrival has been slow to happen, and associated with obvious bugs when it does.

Can we trust the Lindens to deliver on their promises?

Should they spend a few months on the basics of delivering a reliable Grid? I don't have any use for Pathfinding, I admit, and many of the things I come to SL for have become worse during the long delivery process. And it is only now that you have realised you have to fix groups, and how HTTP is used, and sim-crossing, and the cching system, and....

And now I hear of outsiders being brought in, of Mesh deformers and materials. I hear of added complexity, and more data to download, when so often SL if failing to deliver textures for what seems like an age.

I hardly need to ask the question. If Linden Labs were a pizza shop, I'd be on a diet.

It's been this way since I began in 2007.  LL used to take customer polls...at least informal ones on what features residents wanted.  I swear it was like they took the answers and did the exact opposite. :matte-motes-sour:

There are bugs that are still broken since I joined, features residents have begged for (that, according to some gifted coders who post, are not that difficult to do), the Marketplace issue alone would take all day to list the current showstopper bugs, but what does LL do?  Release new shinies and hope the residents who have been here for years just go away to be replaced by new residents who don't yet realize how buggy the platform is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.