how to create a wall to hide the neighbor big mountain using different tile texture

Hayawane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hi,sorry to ask i'm new here,and trying to figured it out,but does not add......i want to make a big wall to hide the flat mountain of sand the neighbor did,i know i can use create object,i did,put the same thinckness of the object for effect,but a stretched it real high and large to cover his wall...now,i know i can use mutiple face,but we i do,the tile i chose,is streched to the whole wall...i don't want that,you see i want too start for the top and make some kind of plant going down,but not till the bottom,and use different texture too,but each time i try,the texture i chose is repeated about hundred time.....how can i put like a texture kind of print to it....you know,like i want it here and there,but not ther...sorry...trying to explain the best i could....don't even know the terms of it all yet....thx

6 answers to this question

If you create a one prim wall, then yes, the texture will apply repeatedly to the entire surface.The only way to get different textures will be to rez several prims and assemble (link) them as a whole.

If you don't want to bother with building advanced skills, why just not get a privacy screen? Some are huge enough (and often pretty) to completely hide your neighbor's mountain.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[category_id]=6&search[keywords]=privacy+screen&search[maturity][]=General&search[maturity][]=Moderate&search

• Like 3

thx valerie for your time and answer...and yes i do want to bother with this....i consider myself as an artist...i like to touch anything and everything and modify it to my liking,in every aspect of my life...i generally do drawing,but i can make anything and everything...lol...well almost..i like extreme details and i am kind perfectionist to the extreme too,just got to learn it for computer to....i even have an intuos wacom 3,but did not get to use it,so i need to learn everything in those departement too...thx a lot for yours answer...we see what i can do from there...:)

:smileyhappy: Then you're gonna have a hell of a good time! It's so nice to hear someone willing to create things instead of beeing spoonfed! I wish you the best of luck in your project and I don't doubt you'll do a terrific work! Creating your own textures is one of the most rewarding pleasures in SL! If you feel you need assistance in your project, do not hesitate to post in the building and texturing forum: many excellent and skilled builders will be more than happy to assist you!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Building-and-Texturing-Forum/bd-p/buildingandtexturing

As Val says, if you want to use several textures, you are going to have to rez several prims and add one texture to each since each face on a prim can only hold one texture.

You can, however, create the texture in Photoshop, the Gimp or some other software by layering several (using transparency or blend modes) before exporting in an appropriate format as one texture, which you can add to the prim.

- Luc -

• Like 1

A single prim can be as large as 64x64x64 meters and as small as 0.01x0.1,0.1m, with ways to make them appear even smaller, nano-prims.

A prim texture can be tiled or stretched so an image does not repeat, appearing only once. The settings for those features are on the Texture tab in the build panel.

GIMP is a free image editing tool that is a good no cost substitute for Photoshop. Paint.net is another good free tool. You can build a single 1024x1024 image for use on a large prim. Anything larger gets resized on upload. If you want the image to be sharp use a PING or TARGA format for the image. A JPG image is compressed when saved out of the editing program. It is again compressed on upload, futher degrading it. All images are compressed to JPEG2000 format.

Image sizes other than power of 2 sizes like; 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, and 1024x1024 are resized to power of 2 sizes. I think a 128x1024 avoids being resized... Doing anything else results in images of lower quality.

"...

Image sizes other than power of 2 sizes like; 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, and 1024x1024 are resized to power of 2 sizes. I think a 128x1024 avoids being resized... Doing anything else results in images of lower quality."

-------------------------------------------

As long as each deminsion (vertical or horizontal) is at a power or two and under the 1024 pixel max limit, the image will not be resized by the software on upload. A 128 x 1024 will not be resized, but neither will 256 x 128 or a 64 x 1024 or a 1024 x 32. All those deminsions are at a power of 2 on each side and will survive the upload undistorted. Distortion will occur if you size the prim without considering the final uploaded size.......a 128 x 1024 texture on a prim that is sized 64 meters x 32 meters will be distorted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.