Getting too many "Test String Please Ignore"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Normally I get IM requests by name but in the past week or so I got some IM notifications in the SL 3.3 viewer that read "Test String Please Ignore" so I simply clicked on the X to get rid of it (ignore it).

Yesterday out of curiousity I clicked on it to open it because I had been receving too many of those and to my surprise it was an actual IM message from somebody nearby!!!

So, why is it not coming with the actual "name" of the avatar instead of "Test STring"  ? how many interesting conversations I may have missed because of that :(

Not to mention that those people probably thought I was being rude by ignoring their chat requests. Why is it happening? how can it be fixed?

The actual program string is:  "TestString PleaseIgnore" just like that without spaces. And when the other end is typing I see "[NAME] is typing" this sounds to me like a malfunction.

I cannot even start IM conversations, the dialog never comes up. Sometimes happens with the Profile as well. It is most annoying :(

I am using the official SL 3.3 viewer in Windows, not MacOS

There are currently 10 User Interface files that contain this text string.  It should not normally appear unless something has gone wrong.  Often this is related to a failed connection with a LL server or service, and it sounds like you are experiencing this.  Why, I do not know - but if it continues I suggest you log it in the JIRA to see if they can fix it for you.

Hitomi Tiponi wrote:

There are currently 10 User Interface files that contain this text string.  It should not normally appear unless something has gone wrong.  Often this is related to a failed connection with a LL server or service, and it sounds like you are experiencing this.  Why, I do not know - but if it continues I suggest you log it in the JIRA to see if they can fix it for you.

That Jira is closed as being a duplicate of EXP-687. He would have to open a new Jira. Previous references to this all seem to point to Mac OSX yet the OP is using Windows but maybe the workaround will work for it too. For example:

DNS Error May Prevent Login for Mac OSX

• EXP-772[c] [PUBLIC] Log in failure, keeps saying DNS cannot resolve hostname -and- EXP-687[c] Second Life viewer will not work on my laptop - A possible workaround is to add the free Google DNS servers to your network configuration, as described below.
Open 'System Preferences' -> 'Network' -> 'Advanced...' -> 'DNS'
Click "+" and type 8.8.8.8
Click "+" and type 8.8.4.4
Close 'System Preferences'
Restart Second Life

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Well, I tried that, setting the DNS on the Windows IPv4 properties (there was some graphical tutorial on the net). I set it to those Google DNS numbers. The situation improved only slightly in terms of getting the Nearby People lists but the Test String problem, the inability of IM'ing most of the time and the rest still persist.

I opened a JIRA issue. I get IMs from people I can't even identify other than "TestString" and that is very cumbersome. Then they think I am dumb because I ask what's their avatar name.

• 9 months later...

I just received a Test String Please Ignore IM today and I too just clicked the X to get rid of it. I am using the Firestorm viewer v4.3.1.3 and I noticed that my Online Status was set to Autorespond. Once I disabled it I was receiving messages correctly again. Happy coincidence?

• 4 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.