New Model

zivaah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im looking  little help here, I want to become a model but don't know where to start, at first I don't want to  pay those huge amount of lindens for training and the portfolio, I can make it online on sites like wix and so  but don't know what is expected from a model in world,anybody can help? with a guide or some ideas? basics?

thx :)

I've no experience of this in SL, but I know a couple of RL models. I'm pretty sure that similar things apply for SL.

In modelling it's good to have a unique look. Something a little quirky that sets you apart. In SL, you can have the advantage of as many looks as you like. You'll be expected to have top-quality skins and hair, so get used to shopping around. You'll need a good shape, and you'll have to keep up with the trends in shapes. It'd probably help to know a bit about human proportions, although a lot of models I see are more cartoonish in looks. For a long time leggy, busty shapes were popular, these days they seem to be shorter and wide-hipped with a stroppy-looking pout.

As for a portfolio, I'd look at those of RL models and work from there. You'll need excellent photography using the highest graphics settings, including depth of field and shadow. Look at recetn posts in the Vanity thread in the Avatar Forum, and the Art, Music and Photography Forum.

• Like 1

I hope you just want to model for fun and  you don't plan on making any money modeling.  More than likely you will spend far more than you make on the required skins, hair etc.  Modeling is a VERY competitive field in SL even more so than in RL.  Anyone with enough lindens can make their avatar beautiful.  Anyone that can use a pose ball or HUD can move like a model.  Anyone with a group can make themselves a model tag.  Anyone can and does call themselves a model.  Only a rare few achieve any 'fame' and then only among the fashionista set in SL.  The rest of SL won't even know your name.

The truth is that very few jobs exist for models compared to the number of "models" wanting work.  Mainly its runway work with maybe an occasional photo shoot.  A few clothing creators use them, but most of them use their own avatars, alts or friends for pictures. Some hire them to model clothes in their shop, which means standing for hours on a pose stand doing nothing but posing.  

For every model that is hired there are probably hundreds wishing to be hired.  The pay is low and sometimes its just the clothes you model.  There are "model search" contests where the winner may win a prize of a few lindens (if any) and then get the 'privilege' of modeling for that designer or photographer for a period of time for free.

To get top jobs, you'll need lots of experience in SL. (None of your experience on other online sites will mean anything) and.you will need a professional portfolio of pictures taken by recognized top notch fashion photographers, which will be very expensive. Unless your willing to spend a lot of time aggressively promoting yourself  and schmoozing as a free lancer, you will also need an agency to help you with bookings who will charge you for that too.  Unfortunately, most of them also want to 'train' you for a substantial fee and won't guarantee that you will get any work.

I don't want to discourage you,but you really need to understand the situation before spending a lot of time and money on it.  If this is your fantasy and you have the time and money that you don't mind spending, go for it and have fun.  Otherwise you may want to look at other ways to particpate in the fashion industry, such as being a designer or blogger.

I'm a designer. I've worked with models.

If you want to be a serious model in Second Life,  you probably should invest in the schools offered. It's way more than just having a pretty avi, besides, you need many "looks," meaning, skins, hair, eyes, accessories, etc. You need to know how to style in Second Life. Also how to take direction from photographers, meaning how to make minute detail adjustments to your avatar and what she or he will be wearing. 

I tried using friends, or people who had no experience, and it was a disaster. It takes a long time to do photoshoots, if that's what you want to do, and without experience I can't think of a designer who has time to help you learn.

Runway work is hard to break into, it really is who you know, and these schools can help you get gigs. You'll need a resume, and what you posted here, won't get you a job in SL with anyone serious in fashion. To me, it's more of a time issue, no one has time to explain everything, plus you'll need so many items to be able to pull it off.

You might start getting accessories. But designers don't want models wearing freebies or cheap accessories. It's very expensive to build up a wardrobe of acceptable accessories. If the designer wants you to have long pink hair, you have to have it. These items are your expensive.

I wish you luck, but it's very complex to get into modeling and the surest way to understand that is through a school. If you can't afford training, you can't afford to be a model. Sadly, so...

I've only modelled a bit for fun, for friends, and have no way to tell you where to go to learn...but as a designer I hope you learn how to adjust prims on yourself to make them fit. If I hired models to work for me, that would be the one first skill I'd need them to have. (That and not be invisible pony riders who look all miserable.)

I think it might be really hard to get the connections needed to get work. I hope someone here can help you :)

Good luck, zivaah :)

• 2 months later...

asan update to this thread, 

I did joined an academy which was free to help me in the areas i didnt know and hopefuly planing to graduate  soon in the coming month to allow me to follow up on apaid academy.

what i learned is that the models are not just playing model..yes they have fun but it takes looks more to make a good model. its not about handle poseballs or giving your self a tag. if you are a good model ppl will call you one. you dont need to name your self because you will saty on the same level with a self given tittle

there is so much to learn and teh hardest of all..learn teh walks on a catwalk, being able to walk any type of catwalks. because im still new could be and dont have years of experiene like many known models.  But with everything i read here i want to tank all to open my eyes before i entered which made me more driven to reach my goal.

I do have a model job , which dont pay much but wasnt expecting either , it was more for teh experience , in editing and ajusting prims and styling clothes. any type of clothing and giving them a unique look . still in theeyes of teh designer because that is what a model does bring the designer idea to life.

I still have so much more to learn yet and so far i have booked 3 shows but its a lot more than 4 months ago. So again ty all for the advices and comments  on my question

Zivaah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.