Help Rigging a Skirt

buubbleguum Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so this is the second time I've asked for help with this. I have been attempting to finnish this mesh for over a month now and I just can't seem to rig it. Of course while I have spent all this time rigging it there has been a few uploads on the Marketplace of skirts that are very similar (just my luck huh?). Any way I thought I would include some more images of my weights I'm using and what the skirt looks like animated. I'm using blender 2.63. I have watched many tutorials including the rigged mesh series by ashasekayi. I just need some one to point out what I'm doing wrong.

2.png

Untitled4.pngUntitled5.png

Untitled5.pngUntitled.png

Have you tried normalizing your weights?

Should be a button in the tool panel. Select the bone  to highlight the wieghts. and then select the normalize weights button. I am not sure what problem you are experiencing other than what i see is the spIky verts.... normalizing can smoth those out.. You also see the area that is going way out is also very heavily weighted (solid red). you may want to tone that down a bit..

When you select your right leg bone. You will see that spot that flairs out, is massively read, which will give a heavy reaction .. If you could explain a little more about what you are trying to avoid maybe would help

When you select the left leg bones you do not have any wieghts highlighted so its hard to tell whats going on in the last image

• Like 1

Thank you for the response. The leg moving really heavily was one issue that I was having so I'll try turning the weight down. I'll also have to try normalizing the weights. I'm struggling with just the over all weighting, nothing is turning out the way I want so it's hard to focus on the spefcifics. I suppose you can see in the last image how the mesh is cutting into the avatar and how the mesh over all looks messy when the avatar is posing. I'll have to utilize some of the advice you gave me and see if it works

"Preserve volume" isn't supported by SL's uploader. If "bone envelopes" is checked, you should uncheck when using your own custom weights. 

The problem with the weights are that they are rough in areas that transition from one joint to another. The transitions need to be smooth. Skirts really need to be painted/tweaked manually. For example, take the picture of the back of the skirt that shows the weights on the lower leg. The weights are going down at an unnatural angle, and they are uneven. Also, the weights that overlap between upper and lower leg should have a smooth, normalized (all weights on a vertex add up to 1) transition.

• Like 1

I weighted my first skirt the other day. It took a lot of time. Deffinately was not easy. Dont get discouraged. Cycle between the bones and subtract areas that are moving that should not be and visa versa. Use the blur brush also to smooth out the weights and blend them better... It takes a lot of going back and forth between the bones and moving them . After a good 8 hours I finally figured it out and got a smooth action on my skirt. If you rasie the right leg and highlight that bone but your left side is also moving thru your left leg, or moving with the right leg action. then use the subtract brush on that area while you still have the right leg bone selected and weights highlighted. that area may be blue but still subtract. (some cases may need ad)... It is like a juggling act . LOL Or at least it was for me...

• Like 1

I think that there's one other issue that hasn't been mentioned here, it's something I didn't get right at first.

The pose that you have the avatar in is not the default pose, the default pose has the legs further apart, with the legs closed that's about a 6 degree change.

After repositioning the legs, you have to set the at rest position of the armature before parenting your object to the armature or the rigging/weighting is actually relative to the original position and not the new position which is the one that you're viewing.

I'd love to tell you how to set the at rest armature pose but I don't do enough Blender to know it in the version that you're using but not doing this will definitely make the skirt flare out far more than the legs which is what i'm seeing in your last test pose picture.

• Like 1

I honestly do not know how you can fix that. . It looks like you have somehow linked all your brushes to one datablock .That is beyond me on how to reverse that. You may try setting blender back to factory default settings. goto FILE-RELOAD FACTORY SETTINGS. I wouldn't try that yet, incase someone has the solution. resetting to factory defaults will require setting up all your plugins and setting again...

You may try clicking on one of them and then hitting the X on the bottom of the brush previewer to unlink it and see what happens.. Can always ctrl-z to reverse it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.