Can't change appearance until clothing and shape are loaded...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please under stand the basics...

Rendering the avatar is a special case. It is a more complex process than rendering in the rest of Second Life. The idea with avatars is to save CPU cycles on users' computers and the SL servers. The idea requires your viewer to download all the textures that make up your avatar and its clothes; a shape, skin, top, pants, hair, and shoes textures. The viewer ‘bakes’ those into a single composite texture. You see your avatar render nice and sharp when that bake completes. Then your viewer uploads that composite texture for all to see. That saves others downloading all the individual textures and baking them. Your avatar goes blurry as it downloads and decompresses the composite texture you just uploaded and it becomes sharp when that process finishes. You are the only one that sees the double blurry for your avatar.

If that process hangs or fails there is a problem. Where it fails affects what you or others see.

You can try the old standby quick fixes for avatar rez problems:

1. Change your active group or group tag.
  2. Press rebake (Ctrl-Alt-R) once a minute for 3 minutes.
  3. Change your bald.
  4. Change your shape.
  5. Move to another region and try 1 to 4 again.

When those fail, check your connection as it is the most likely problem: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection For you this is probably the first thing to check. For whatever reason your inventory is having a problem downloading. Avoid clearing your cache. Clearning it just increases the downloads needed.

There is a longer explanation of the problem here: #SL Clouds, Grey, and Blurry Avatars.

More in depth fixes are here: Avatar Render Problems: Ghost Cloud Smoke Ball Ruth.

This whole avatar render process is changing now. It will still be some time before the process is replaced. So, we have to deal with it for now. But see: Second Life Changes Coming

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

If you are using an older Phoenix or V1 vintage viewer, you WILL have inventory problems. If you use one of the older viewers with newer viewers you will be very likely to have inventory and appearance problems. Stick with one or the other.

Older viewers use the UDP protocol for inventory download. It is subject to connection problem corruption. The newer viewers use HTTP with more error recovery and tend to better survive connection problems.

With what you have given us, there isn't much more I can suggest. The more specific you are, the beter our answers will be. Also... you will get facter anwswers by posting this type of question in the Answers section of this forum. Or... you could search answers and find that this question has been answered a number of times, thus you would not have to have waited.

if what Nalates said doesn't work.

Delete your temp history on your computer.

1. Open C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local and delete the contents of your Temp folder.
  2. Open C:\Users\(yourusername)\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife and delete the contents of the cache folder.

This problem seems to re occur from time to time even to those of us who think we know everything )) the only way to solve this problem we have found is to take everything off then do the gender test  oh I mean everything every last little bit )) this puts you back in the pristine state as far as slug life is concerned do a male then a female depending on your persuasion or vice versa then try to wear and add your shape etc. This is most humorus when it happens to the macho guys and they grow breasts )) try that and see if it works it does most of the time. If not file an issue report with the slow life responders ))

• 4 weeks later...

what helps me if wearing bald head or eyebrows, test female are all not working ,

i go to ruth in my inventory,click with right on it,choose edit

then i will come in appereance,i make there my own shape,a bit

and do safe as.... then you come out of the appereance

and strangly enough you wear 2 shapes then ,then i relog

ruth is gone then and i wear the one i made instead

now i can wear eveything what makes my own

hope it helps for you too

greetings and good luck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.