UV Mapping Too Dark!

Gabrielle Gregory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya!  I unwrapped my mesh in blender and uv mapped it, and for some reason this time it's really dark, brown and black.  Not the light grey, white and black that it should be.  I haven't done it enough times to know the settings well, and I'm wondering what I've messed up or set incorrectly.  Many thanks if you have an input!  

Its unclear what the OP means here. The unwrapping process by itself does not create textures, but just a UV Layout. This can not be too dark as its just a map.

Now it depends what the OP realy means. That's why i asked for a screen shot ...

So...: Are you talking about an AO bake ?

AO bake can be setup to create colorised AO textures. To switch that back to greyscale, you need to go to the Render properties section. In the Bake tab you need to enabled "Normalized".

And it also has a light energy factor which determines how dark the AO map will be generated. This setting is found in the world properties section (Ambient occlusion -> factor)

I agree - a screenshot and a few more details will make it easier to provide a solution.

But if an AO bake is the problem, I can only think of adding the possibility that the blend mode for the AO could have been changed from 'Add' to 'Multiply' in the drop down next to the factor slider. 

- Luc -

thank you all so much for your willingness to help!  I double checked all these settings that you've mentioned I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.  I even compared settings with a different item that worked out fine.  Yes it is an AO, but it's only about the third one I've done so like I said I don't know the settings well enough by heart to know what I've screwed up :/  

Thank you so much for helping, again

PS>  I just checked,  it's still on add, not multiple.  Hm. 

Here is a screen shot!

Gabby

I have no more ideas :( But you might want to double check:

in the bake panel (lower right corner in your image)

• Check that normalized is enabeld
  • Check that Clear is enabled

In the scene settings:

• Check that Ambient occlusion -> Factor is set to 1.0

A very common mistake I make is to have duplicates of objects (you know - the ones you make to save your work before you mess it up :), and they are sitting right on top of each other... You need to make sure that only your current one is renderable (the little camera icon in the outliner).

Gabrielle Gregory wrote:

WOW.  okay I closed blender,  reopened my project, double checked EVERY SETTING you all told me to check, baked it again and now it's in black and white.  The dark splotches are still there, but I'm assuming that's my light...

Thank you so much!  

Reopening Blender often turns out to be the fix for things that I can't figure out. :-)

It looks like the belt is a separate object ?

Anyway the belt occludes light on the dress so the AO map becomes black where the belt touches the dress. That is expected. Nothing wrong with that. However the black rounded lines below the belt look wrong. And it looks like you have not yet baked the AO map for the belt itself ?

The not occluded black spots and the white blobs on the dress could be issues with normals, or maybe you have duplicate vertices. Or maybe you have hidden objects on the same layer which cause this.

Maybe a bad combination of modifiers ? But without knowing how your model is  constructed, it is not easy to guess a solution :(

A couple of guesses...

To me it seems that the AO bake is not just taking the dress itself into account. It seems there are other objects present affecting the bake. Do you have other objects on the layer where your dress is that is perhaps hidden from view, but not from rendering? If so, press the little camera icon next to the object(s) in the outliner to hide it/them from the renderer. To a degree it could also seem that some part(s) of the mesh is duplicated with normals facing the wrong way which can mess up the AO bake, but you say the normals are ok.

ETA: What Gaia said :)

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.