Blender material faces are not uploading properly?

Harry Hyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having an issue i've never encountered before and I have no idea what am I doing wrong or why this is happening. I have some objects assigned to a certain material and then when I upload it, those materials aren't assigned to the right objects anymore. As you can see in my example, two objects share the same material but after uploading it, half the faces on that object share a different material. Also the colors are completely different. What am I missing? :(

blendertextureproblem.jpg

That is odd. My only guess is you are close to 8 materials and could have uploaded with quads and triangles. My exporter will create a new material for any quad/triangle group. Easily pushing over the 8 material limit and producing very strange results, like this. Again, I am guessing(with a low caffeine level), but it might be worth converting the whole thing to triangles and upload again.

Ok, so I figured out that if I apply the subsurf modifier to each of the objects and export all of them into one .dae file, everything appears properly in SL . But, the minute I join them together into one mesh all the materials are screwed up in Second Life. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Hmm, well that didn't work. I still think it has something to do with the exporter. Maybe fiddle with the exporter options, or worst case, open the .dae in a text editor and see if something looks obviously wrong.

Is this a group of mesh objects(linkset in world)? Or one mesh with multiple materials?

If you want to look in the collada file (at least in mine), this is the list of links that point to the material properties. /there are three indirect links!

<polylist .... material="label1">

........ <instance_material symbol="label1" target ="#label2">     {in visual scene section near end}

......................... <material id="label2"...><instance_effect url="#label3>     {in <library_materials> section}

................................................<effect id="label3"...> {effect defined here} </effect>    {in <library_effects>}

Now, the uploader used to ignore these explicit links and just use the order of the sections in the file. The "label1" attribute is now used to check that LODs use the right materials on the right faces, but think the order may still be what determines which of those links to which effects definition (which sets the colour). The order in the file is determined by the exporter, and it's not always clear how. If it looks like this sort of problem, you can try changing the order pof the effects, materials, instance_materials or nodes in the visuial scene, and see what effect that has on the colours you observe inworld.

Ok I tried looking at the file and I have absolutely no idea what i'm looking for or what it means.

I did figure out that:

-If I apply subsurf modifier to each object then export as linkset = GOOD

-If I join the objects and DO NOT apply subsurf and export as one mesh = GOOD

-If I join then apply subsurf or apply subsurf then join = NO GOOD :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.