Prim to Sculptie

Robbyn1488311857

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi this may be a stupid question but I cannot understand how to change a prim to sculptie, I have read the information over and over again and I still cannot understand how to do it, can anyone tell me the simplest way to do this.  I have an item that I built that has 210 prims and I would like to make it less prims so that it can fit on my piece of land, can anyone help me please.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

You can easily change a SINGLE prim to a sculptie.  Just go to the Objects tab in the Edit menu, and change the prim type from cube, or sphere, or whatever it is, to "sculpted".  It will turn into a plywood apple, which is the default sculpted shape.  Then drag the sculpt map you want onto the sculpt map texture window, and it will change to the shape dictated by that particular sculpt map.

But it sounds like you want to change a linkset (a number of individual prims that form an object) into a single sculpty object.  That can't be done, at least with the prims in your current linkset.  What you would have to do is this:

1.  Purchase a tool like the Prim Generator found on the Marketplace (I think there are at least two products of this type.)

2.  Use the Prim Generator to make prims, and edit them and position them to create a copy of your current item.  Once the item has been re-created in this fashion, click the Generate button on the Prim Generator tool.  It will make a sculpt map of your assembly and send you to a website.  Download the sculpt map to your hard drive, then upload it to SL.  Apply the uploaded sculpt map to a new sculpted prim.  This will produce a sculpty version of the model you made with ordinary prims.

NOTE:  These tools have a limitation on how complex a model they can handle.  I suspect that none of them will let you use 210 prims to create a single sculpty...and in most cases, you wouldn't want to anyway, because of considerations like texturing and bounding boxes.  You'll probably have to divide your object into several sculpties.

If you're still confused, contact me in world.  I'll show you how to make a sculpty, and demonstrate Prim Generator.

• Like 1

In the most simplest of ways, a sculptie is a prim that has a sculpt texture applied to it.

You can see this for yourself by changing a basic cube into an apple.

Rez a cube, go to the object tab, change the dropdown menu from box to sculpted.

Now you should have a plywood apple, you just changed a Prim to a Sculptie.

Now, the art of sculptie making involves making those sculpt maps in external programs and importing them into second life.

There are even devices that will allow you to place your prim build into it and pull out a sculpted object.

With the implementation of land impact, the reduction of prim count has some cool applications.

Rez two prims. Link them. You will notice that your land impact is 2. Now go to Features tab and change Physics Shape Type from Prim to Convex Hull. You will notice your land impact is now 1. So you in effect have a two prim object that only counts as one, effectively cutting your prim count in half.

Note this does not work on everything and this is just the most basic of explanations from a non builder, you will find many more lengthy discussions about the points I just mentioned.

Before you go experimenting, please make a backup copy of your build.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.