SL's default viewer won't run at all.

Ryuu Foresight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm trying to switch from Firestorm to V3 and the viewer won't even run hardware detection when I run it, double click it, right click and run, or even start it right after the installation. My computer acts like it's doing a background task for three seconds before ceasing and then nothing happens. When I check the task manager the task that is SL is only there for three seconds before vanishing on the programs list. Does anybody know how I might fix this? All my video drivers are up to date, dunno about audio, though, since I've never done an audio driver update and I really don't wanna break the audio of my computer. If there is a way to maybe bypass hardware detection and run the viewer directly, that might solve my problem.

I don't need to worry about SL's graphics because on Firestorm I can run on ultra and with lighting and shadows enabled.

Edit: Firestorm and V3 do not share cache locations. Just checked. Still not fixed.

Edit 2: I tried clean installing serveral times. In fact, this install is completely new since I rebooted windows. I never got this viewer to work on this computer, ever. Not even before the reboot.

Edit 3: I have NEVER had another official viewer on this computer. This computer's only a couple months old, I had tried using the default viewer before in the past and this same problem arose the first time I've used it. I'm telling you guys, it's gotta be hardware detection. A;ll the facts point at it. And if I could figure out what audio driver I have, or just find the boot CD, I'd update its driver, too, to try and fix this problem. I've already done both of my video drivers.

Edit 4: I guess I didn't actually know what the problem is. I do know it's not my antivirus or other viewers because I tried running it back when I rebooted Windows with my antivirus and everything off, and apparently it still won't run without hardware detection. My computer is an Alienware M14X, the main video card is Nvidia Geforce(Don't remember the numbers.) and the backup one is Intel integrated graphics. The audio driver is Realtek. I got this computer specifically for gaming and every game I've ever played on it so far runs just fine, Second Life is the only thing giving me problems...

SOLVED: My computer wasn't running it until something called Alienautospy that came with the computer ran an automatic systems check. It claimed nothing was wrong but I figure it must've fixed SOMETHING and now the default viewer works.

4 answers to this question

Firestorm and V3 should have separate caches.  Actually all viewers should have separate caches.........but should have does not always mean they do.  But the folks at Phoenix have been doing viewers for quite some time so I doubt you'll have trouble with Firestorm's cache and V3's cache.  However, if you have ever had any other official SL viewer installed on the same computer it's possible (and maybe even likely) that old cache is mixing with your V3 cache......even if you uninstalled that older viewer months or years ago.  The caches are not removed when you uninstall the viewer(s).  Something to try would be to uninstall the V3 viewer (again if you've already done it before).  Then before you reinstall V3 again (a fresh download would be wise), do a computer search of your computer for anything related to SL and manually delete the files and folders found with teh search.........if you have other official SL viewers you probably should go ahead to uninstall those too before you search your computer and reinstall later.  It's those viewers (if you run mulitple official viewers) that you should move the cache locations to different places on your computer (don't have them all at the default location).  If it's a caching problem that should fix it for you.  And, just be a little safer for future cache issues, I'd go ahead and move the Firestorm cache too (it's easy enough to do).

Tyuu,

[ I'm trying to switch from Firestorm to V3 and the viewer won't even run hardware detection ] is the clue here.

I'd remove all viewers and the associated caches from your new PC and

1) Make sure all Updates from Microsoft are downloaded and applied using the Microsoft Update task.

2) Make sure your PC manufacturer's free software & firmware updates are also downloaded and applied.

3) Disable any "free" or "Included" Anti-virus software that came with your PC while debugging this issue.

ALSO - Please tell us what PC you have including Model Number. This was we can check for specific issues with SL V3 and your PC video card and/or hardware.

You can override hardware detection by adding --noprobe to the command line.

e.g. Change "C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\SecondLife.exe"  --set InstallLanguage en

to..."C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\SecondLife.exe"  --set InstallLanguage en --noprobe

You can locate your audio details from the Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Sound > click your speaker system then click Properties > click Properties > select Driver tab 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.