Question about mesh house Maya

PoisonEyez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

PoisonEyez wrote:

I can't walk inside of it

Did you make a physics mesh for it?

PoisonEyez wrote:

also its invisible inside

SL, just like nearly all realtime simulations , does not render two-sided polygons.  Every surface is single-sided.  So, if you want the house to have an interior surface, you need to create the interior, just as you created the exterior.  The interior won't just spring into existence automatically.  You have to put it there.

Here's a quick tip.  Whenever you're modeling for a game or virtual world like SL, it's usually a good idea to turn on backface culling in Maya.  That way, the model will look the same in Maya as it does in the game, with only single-sided surfaces.  This helps ensure you won't forget to create things like interiors, and also keeps you from inadvertently reversing normals without realizing it.

PoisonEyez wrote:

I'm using Maya 2013 maybe im not uploaded it right into SL but once I get it in I can't walk inside of it also its invisible inside 0.o so can somebody show me or tell me oor link me a tut to help thanx in advance . 

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/placing-proper-punctuation0.html

Sorry, but no, I don't have time for in-world lessons.  I'm happy to answer questions on the forums when I can, since it generally only takes a few minutes at a time, and since the answers benefit more than just one person.  If I were to take the time to jump in-world to tutor every person who asks, I'd never get anything done.

Ask your questions here, and you'll get answers not just from me, but from lots of other helpful folks as well, so it's a win-win. :)

Pamela Galli wrote:

I am trying to imagine how one could build an entire house and not realize that it had no interior. 

It's actually not that hard of a mistake to make, if you don't realize you're looking at double-sided polygons in the modeling program, and/or if you're unaware that realtime simulations like SL almost always use single-sided polys.   Throw up four double-sided planes for the four walls of a room, and the walls will be visible from both inside and outside the room in the program.  If you don't know in advance that those planes will be single-sided in-world, it's not much of a stretch from there to arrive at an entire house that is exterior-only.

Don't know if that's you getting SMART or really just speaking..... But I never done a mesh house only built IN-WORLD only in not everybody has MAYA let alone MAYA 2013 so things maybe different that's why I asked the question..... So if you have nothing to help with please dismiss yourself in your comments... All I need to no is the basic steps to make the house show in -world what tabs do I have to turn on or off what tabs need to be check or double check 

Later on today I will upload pictures of the steps I did & hopefully somebody can tell me rather or not I did it right or wrong  also is it possible to use the mental ray lights INWORLD? You know when you render it out on the program in it has that REALISTIC look to it could you carry that inworld as well?

PoisonEyez wrote:

also is it possible to use the mental ray lights INWORLD? You know when you render it out on the program in it has that REALISTIC look to it could you carry that inworld as well?

You can't take the lights into SL, but you can fake the effect by using the rendered images from maya as textures in SL, those are usually called "baked textures". The result won't be exactly the same in SL as it is in Maya, since the SL lights will affect the baked textures, unless you set the textures to full bright. This can certainly look good in some specific builds, but often gives bad results.

You will have to be very careful not to flood your build with unique high resolution textures, as that will add to the load on people's systems. It's often very hard to use repeats with baked textures and just as often completely impossible. Unfortunately I can't help with baking the textures in Maya, I use 3ds max, but a simple search for a tutorial should do the trick. If not, I bet plenty of Maya users can explain.

These are the shots I took in Maya 2013 can someone let me no if I did it correct or if im missing anything, I also try the UV MAPPING in got confused on what next to do, I did auto mapping in I guess I have to select the parts that I want to be linked together in the map??? I'm not sure I even try to texture it & add a light I seen a reply saying I cant bring the light in world but I can fake the effect how would I get that done? shot1.jpgshot2.jpgshot3.jpgshot4.jpgshot5.jpgUVMAPPIN.jpg

Poison, I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to ask.  I see a picture of a box, some beveled text, and what look to be UV projectors, and all you have to say about is "Did I do it right?" 

Excuse me, but did you do do what right?  Without knowing more about what you're trying to acheive, it's impossible to put those pictures in context.

I realize there is a language barrier between us, which obviously doesn't help matters.  My feeling is you're probalby brand new to Maya, and you're trying to do things you're not yet ready for.  I'd encourage you to slow down.  Forget all about SL for the next couple of weeks, and instead spend that time really and truly learning the basics of polygonal modeling in Maya.  The tutorials in your Maya help file are a great place to start.

Once you've got a solid handle on the basics, this will all make a lot more sense to you.

ALL, I said that I was new to modeling in MAYA 2013 excuse me if you over read that part..... In I understand ploy very well what I don't understand is how to mapping it up for SL uses in make it able for me to walk inside of the buildings.......... There are no TUTS clearly if their was I would of watch them 0.o but thanx anyway ill keep looking around in trying it out myself ....

Apologies if I misinterpreted.  If you're already well versed on modeling in Maya, that's great.

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask, in regard to mapping.  If you're asking about UV mapping, there's nothing unique to SL in that respect.  UV it any way you want.  The only restriction is you can't put more than eight materials on any single mesh object.  So you may want to keep that in mind as you're arranging your UV's.  If you meant something other than UV mapping, please explain.

As for being able to walk inside the house, you need to make a physics mesh, as I said before.  This is very common practice when modeling for games and virtual worlds. It's quite rare that you would ever need every last detail of the visible structure to behave physically, so to save on processing overhead, you make a very simplified collision lattice, in the same basic shape as the visible model. 

In the case of your house model, the physics mesh could be as simple as a double-sided box, with a hole in one end, where the door is, for the avatar to walk through.  That's all you really need.

Notice the uploader in SL has slots for four LOD meshes, and one physics mesh. 

You also asked about how to fake some lighting effects.  The term you're looking for is "texture baking".  Instructions for that will vary, depending on what renderer you're using, and how your scene is set up.  It's not really something that can be explained from start to finish in a forum post.  It's a big subject.

This is one of the things that led me to believe you're new to creating content in Maya.  Texture baking is a pretty fundamental thing, for any 3D modeler to know about.  That was not meant as an insult in any way, so please don't take it as such.  In order to give you the best possible help, it's important to try to get an accurate understanding of what level you're actually at.

The best renderer for baking is Turtle.  If your copy of Maya came as part of the Audtodesk Entertainment Creation Sute, then you've got Turtle.  I'd suggest you give the manual a read, and watch the tutorial videos.

If you bought Maya separately from the suite, it will not have come with Turtle, unfortunately.  In that case, you'll want to use Mental Ray.  If you google for "Maya Mental Ray bake tutorial", you'll find lots and lots of information to help get you started.

One more thing you need to know, which is not immediately obvious.  After you rez the model in-world, set its physics type to "prim".  If it's set to "convex hull", all holes will get filled in, which will mean you won't be able to walk through the door.

Why LL chose to call this option "prim" is beyond me.  It makes no literal sense, whatsoever.  Arbitrary mesh models are not primitives.  Arbitray physic shapes are not primitive physics shapes.  This confuses most everyone, at first, so if you missed it, you're not alone.

In that would only work if I have a phys shape 1st correct? also in maya in order to be able to see inside & out side of the building I need to make my normals visble correct? For my phys mesh/map  they need to be single planes on the outsides of the house top in bottom left an right correct? 

PoisonEyez wrote:

its now invisble outside of this I dont no what I did wrong....

Once again, as we've discussed several times now, SL does NOT render double-sided polygons.  If you want the house to have an exterior, you must create the exterior.  If you want it to have an interior, you must create the interior.  If you want it to have both, you must create both.  I'm not sure what part of that is unclear to you.

Here is a picture of what Chosen is saying. The top is the visual mesh. It has both inside and outside faces for each surface (except the floor which only has an inside because you will never see it from below). The normals on the inside an the outside point in opposite directions. At the bottom is the physics mesh. This is for a triangle-based mesh. You tell it to use this file but don not click "Analyze". It will not work for a hull-based mesh, which you get by by clicking "Analyze". For that you need something quite different. (Drawn in Blender).

simplebuild.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.