Greeting script?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello board. First time poster so please be gentle with me.....

I have been offered a job inworld as a greeter.

I have been watching some of the other Avi's that are doing the job I will be doing and I'm pretty sure some of them (at least) are using some sort of script to generate a greeting, such as "Hello XXAAXXAA. Welcome to BBDDBBDD BBDD."

It seems to me from my experimentation that there must be something in it that detects the distance of the Avi to be greeted from the greeter. and also some sort of time setting because I find I don't get a greeting if I don't go too close and, once greeted I often do not get another one for some hours even If I walk quite close to the greeter.

I think sometimes I get a human intervention  though.

Could someone tell me how I could go about  obtaining a script like that ?....and how I would impliment it.

Do I wear it?

I have searched the forums for this type of thing and have found some that seem close, although not exactly what I'm talking about and I have not been able to see anything about how to activate the script.

My interest is probably influenced about  60% by lazyness (not having to type the same thing over and over) and about 40% tech interest/knowledge.

Thanks,

Love, sara.

I have a host hud that does that , Could be what you are seeing them use. It can detect people coming fron different angles and distances. and a lot of custom greeting systems. Menu controled etc. Its pretty cool

In my signature

The hud you would wear and it would be a new button on your screen

I can send you a demo if you want

sara4fun2 wrote:

My interest is probably influenced about  60% by lazyness (not having to type the same thing over and over) and about 40% tech interest/knowledge.

For the tech interest, yes it's easy to write a script to detect avatars and then send a greeting.

As far as the other goes, it's impersonal and there might as well not be a greeter there at all otherwise it just suggests that a script is doing the work while the human is on Ebay or whatever.

If you want to reduce typing, create a gesture.  The other thing about scripted objects is that they appear as "object chat" and not from the avatar whereas a gesture is said by the avatar.

If a script greets me, I don't respond, do you respond when a computer says "hello" to you?

I find it kind of funny when someone says this lol, No disrespect intended of course. Everyone is entitled to their opinion :).

But what does a host do when they greet you by typing it to you? Type the same greetings to most users. Sometimes they change it up. . It really is no different than using a hud greeter . They "personalize" the greetings and have special ones for special users. They personally chose the appropriate greeting they preconfigured for each user if they are a good host. For a busy place, time and accuracy is important. If they had a hud they can use the same greetings they would type anyway and repeat the same greetings. Then it is no more personal that a Hud if you ask me :)

Using the hud they can ad 12 different greetings and personalize them just for you and your name. Witho0ut being mis spelled lol You should see the ones who get Irate if you typed their name wrong lol.

If they type the greeting personally. It is the same one they used on Suzy 10 minutes before you arrived. So why not make the job easier lol. No spelling errors and speed.

A good host would not totally rely on the hud. If they greet them with the hud or script. Then they should follow up with a personal compliment or something to more personalize the experience.... Some just rely on the hud and become robotic and don't care... You won't get any tips that way. A scripted hud will ease the burden when a busy crowd is active or for a event . A good host knows how to work the crowd with combination of tools and personal touches.....

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

But what does a host do when they greet you by typing it to you? Type the same greetings to most users. Sometimes they change it up. . It really is no different than using a hud greeter .

The difference is that they "interact".  If there's no interaction, just rez a cube with a "hello <avatar>" script in it, or even step it up and put a bot there.

For me, I feel that it's very different.  Try it in RL... walk up to a hotel reception, the receptionist doesn't greet you at all and carries on surfing the net, meanwhile as you walk over the door mat with the pressure switch, a screen says "welcome!".  How welcome did you really feel?

Each to their own indeed.

Yeah... but surely the Turing test for SL greeters would be pretty trivial. It can't require all that diverse an array of randomly selected first lines for a greeting to appear natural.

Using a HUD, though... not sure how these work, but a simple, naive approach would seem pretty awful. One certainly wouldn't want the HUD simply llSay()ing the text out into chat because then it will show as object spam. So I suppose it could spew it out to the owner, and then the owner cut-and-paste it into chat... if that saves enough effort to even be worth it.

Now that I think about it, don't RLV viewers have a way to chat on command received from an in-world script?

have seen a HUD that chat on channel 0

it has short greetings in. like Hi <avatar first name> :)

it scans for avatars and then shows up their first name on a menu dialog button with the Hi or whatever text

when you click then it says on channel 0 as if is you. the text colors is normal like when you say yourself

+

is only good for short greetings tho. 24 chars. 12 only if is unicode (i think?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.