How to make edges visible on inside of clothing mesh using Maya (2012)?

Plum Frostbite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Everyone! I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, I haven't been able to find much of a useful reference to this....

I'm new to Maya and am trying to figure out how to add face to the inside of an article of clothing at least on the edges. I know that the inside of the mesh is supposed to be invisible to cut down on poly count but I just want to add polys to the edges to make it look like it has thickness and to help with the glitching. I've tried using the extrude but i can't get it to go on the inside and the faces i select still seem to be invisible on the inside.

I've seen many mesh clothing creators do this and I know that in 3Ds Max you can do this using the shell modifier.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you can duplicate the lower part that you want to go inside then just select the lower section you want to go inside, then procede to duplicate it without moving it and flip the normals

If you did happen to extrude to the inside and the faces are still invisible. then select the inner faces and flip the normals.

There are many options in that situation... but I think you should explain a little better.

1. Duplicate the model and reverse the face normals (clearing unnecesary faces before) and combine.

2. Using extrude, and adjusting vertex on the inside. (For complex models... maybe the better option).
- Select edges.
- Extrude without any movement.
- Use the Scale Tool to reduce the new edges a bit.
- Extrude the new edges again.
- Move them inside the model.

Thanks for your responses everyone :D 

I was hoping there would be better solution instead of just duplicating the faces and reversing the normals, there is an easier way in blender and max so i was just hoping Maya would as well. But i could try that as a last resort :D

Whenever I try extruding the edges it looks invisible and each face has the entire texture applied to it...

http://gyazo.com/0178f21176f0270143a6f4d9014c323d.png?1339718627

If i extrude the faces it looks like this...

http://gyazo.com/bbea612f0a66c7586e6f275f8549374f.png?1339718900

Keep in mind I'm a total maya noob and very new to mesh as well. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

ok, I see that you are extruding faces, instead of edges.

First of all, try only selecting the edges that you need (Press Right Button and Edges, the upper option), only the upper border of the model. 

But if you need a perfect border of the top, the best way is duplicating and reversing normals.

Select the model, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, on the Polygon menu, Normals and then Reverse...
Next, select the faces that you don't need on the new model and erase all of them. 

And... at last... Combine the two models.

I know it's laborious, but I think is the best option.

Seems like there are some vertex not merged correctly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.