a frustrating blender problem

Rin Tae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sooo .. I run into a frustrating texturing problem that I don't know how to get solved.

I made some mesh models, UV unwrapped them, painted the texture and uploaded everything into SL. One one mesh, the texture appeared correctly on another it has not, even when the steps from making the texture, over the adding of the material, to UV unwrapping and painting in photoshop has been exactly the same.

Now, I dont rule out to have missed something along the way, but I repeated the process several times and the result was always the same. The texture made for mesh model 2 did not appeared in the correct way like it did for mesh model 1 and it's texture.

Now I am rather lost and can't figure it out why one model should behave different to the other ... unless there is something that I am missing or a bug I don't know about (using Blender 2.59)

You are not really giving us enough information to know what you’ve done wrong. That leaves us guessing. Some pictures would help. The models and the uvmaps would help. Also more description as to how to made the models.

I’ll guess you are leaving out a step. If you try to write a description  for a post here, you may find the problem.

That you using 2.59 has me wondering if you know about Blender Archive Installs. I’ll suggest that you check out how to use: Blender Archive Install

Archive installs are easy and allow you to have multiple versions of Blender installed and working. Blender is updating frequently. It is always a bit iffy installing a new version. We never know what surprises they will contain. Surprises and bugs often mean we need to use an older version. So, it is handy to have them available and working.

The new versions do have bug fixes and new features. Generally they are fixes we need for working with models bound for Second Life. So, we need to be updating.

The biggest problem I have is, that I don't know where the problem is and what picture would be best that could give some insight on it.

The models are very similar to each other as they are two different versions of a wall corner creating a 90° angle in two different directions. There are no complicated forms or anything that I would think of beign a problem. Especially as the wall itself and one of the corners have been textured correctly.

As for what I do, then .. after having created the model, I add a material to it (to all faces) and use smart unwrap to create the UV image. I save the UV image and open it in a image editor where I create the actual texture. Both the model and the texture are then uploaded into SL where they hopefully fit to each other.

After some trial and error I managed to get several models textured but I keep running into this problem at some point and it keeps holding me up to the point where I just can't get anythign finished. This actually makes me think that I am been making a mistake all along but I just don't know where it might be. And so I am searching for a way to actually be able to have it work everytime. Tutorials have prooven not to be much of a help so far and the only one I know who uses blender (version 2.49 however) is rarely online so I am kind of lost about what might be the mistake.

And I didn't knew about the archive isntall but I don't really plan or want to have several active at the same time. I update blender from time to time to keep up but haven't so far and will do it again since all nearby walls have nice holes in the size of my head in them by now. Who knows .. maybe it is all a bug and the new version will fix it, but I have the feeling that it is something that I am doing wrong (even when the actual process of UV texturing is only three - after figuring it out - easy steps)

A guess here, but when I have texture problems on upload it's usually because I have two sets of UVs, often because I've been using the projection painting feature.  The uploader decides which uv to use, which may not be the right one.  So be sure to check that you've deleted any extra uvs and only export one uv set with your mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.