Unable to run SL, what should I do?

phoenixyjc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I installed second life viewer for weeks, and it runs good. But today, suddenly it appears a dialog box which says:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of dates, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them.

If you continue to receive this message, contact the Second Life Support Portal.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I upgraded the graphic card driver to the latest version. But the problem still exist. What should I do for this?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68

CPU: i7 2700k

Graphic Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

2 answers to this question

First, be sure that you really did download and install the current drivers from the manufacturer.....

ATI Video Driver

• Latest driver Last checked Feb 6th- Windows and Linux: 12.1 (Jan 25)

Then, try rebooting your router.  Unplug it from the power for a few minutes while you go make a cup of coffee.  That will give it time to clear its RAM and get a fresh grab on an IP address.  If you're lucky, that's all it will take.  If not , click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question here and select EDIT to add any new information and let us know what happened. Please do NOT start a new thread.

If you are on a laptop, that may be the problem. Laptops try to conserve power and will often turn of the video card and run on just the CPU.

There is a setting in your video card's controls to chose between performance and power saving. Set it to performance. Also, plug it into wall power.

I don't use ATI cards. So, I'm not sure but I suspect there is a Games settings section in your video card controls. You should be able to setup a special configuration for Second Life. Be sure it is set to performance or to always use the video card.

You can use a free program GPU-Z to see what your computer is doing with the graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.