.PNG Textures Bugging Around.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not Sure what I've done differently but whenever I upload a .PNG texture now the smooth edges are very sharp and edgy and looks very horrible.

Last time I uploaded a .PNG the edges were smooth and worked how I wanted it.

But now when I upload a .PNG file it's very Ecckkk!!

Visualise a circle with a transparent background.
It's very smooth and round until uploaded to Second Life and applied to a prim it becomes very rough and sharp and ugly round the edges.

Thanks in Advanced :) 

png files are not just png. It can be

• palette based with the number of colors being between 16 and 256
  • the above with dithering
  • 8 bit grayscale
  • 24 bit colors

All these can have transparency based on a single color or on an alpha channel
The version with 24 colors is normally with smooth edges and the palette based are not

• Like 1

What program are you using to create your .png files?  Do you have anti-alias checked?  How large is your file you are uploading? Did you try to resize and upload at a smaller size?  Do you have the texture stretched on the prim? Have you changed any setting on your Viewer? Changed Viewers?  What have you done different currently than before/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now using Photoshop CS6 where as before I was using CS3

Whenever I get to the Export menu it asks me:

Compression:
None/Fast
Smallest/Slow

Interlaced:
None
Interlaced

The ones in bold are the ones I have selected.

And no it's pretty small on a prim, and no settings have changed still and always using FireStorm v4.0.1.27000

Only difference is using Photoshop CS6 as opposed to CS3 

Does it also happen with textures you uploaded in the past? I have had this happen several times, mostly with one style of hair I often wear. The alpha channel looks like 8 bit (or 2 bit, what is it?) rather than 24 bit, in other words, every pixel is either completely opaque or completely invisible, making the edges ugly to say the least.

I never found out why this happened, but it fixed itself as far as I can remember every time. It could be a cache issue, but I'm not sure.

I don't know a fix, but to eliminate some possibilities, could you post if others see the same results? If that isn't the case, and I bet it's not, it's certain nothing is wrong with the texture itself, but with the way your viewer shows it to you.

i also noticed this problem but i don't know if this is helpful or not but it seems it only happens when i am using firestorm the png would look very bad with sharp unclean edjes but if i logged in with phoenix it looks fine so i am not really sure if its the texture or the viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.