Writting onto the 3d Female_AV.obj in photoshop?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I am trying to use the female_av.obj in photoshop to wrap a textual tattoo around the body/torso only when i merge the text layer down it goes all haywire and blured and well cr*p to be polite...i am sure i am doing something wrong i just can't think what it is, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou in advance,

Debbi

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

I am not a PS technical expert, but why are you merging the layers down?  Have you tried just saving the texture as a .png/.tga and not merging the layers? Did you rasterize the the text layer?

Yeah I rasterized the layer, and as far as i can recall you need to merge the layers down to pass them onto the material layer, but its when they go onto the material layer that they become blured and all well...cr*p :(

There's rarely any reason to merge layers.  So long as the layers are all active, they will be preserved in the final TGA or PNG image.  The big disadvantage of merging is that it can't be undone later.  If you have delicate details on a separate layer from your main design, keeping them separate leaves you the option of modifying (or removing) those details easily if you ever want to.  So long as the layers are separate, too, you can apply masks or filters to them selectively.

If you're using Photoshop Extended, and you're painting in 3D, merging from above the material in the layer stack will perform a planar projection.  If that specific type of projection is what you're looking to do, then that's how to do it.

From your description, though, I'm guessing you're trying to perform a cylindrical projection, to make the text wrap all the way around the model, in one operation.  Photoshop does not have that function.  It can only project in one direction at a time, from a plane (like the way a movie projector works in RL). 

So, if you want to project the text all the way around the model, I would suggest you do it a few letters at a time.  Start with the model facing forward, and project what letters fit on its front.  Then rotate it a little, and project the next few letters.  Rotate a little more, and do the next few.  And so on, and so on, until you've completed the full revolution.  This method is not as neat and clean as a cylindrical projection, in terms of the number of clicks you have to do, but it does give you a lot more control.

If you're not actually trying to project, and you're just looking to paint on the texture canvas, then there's no need to merge layers.  Simply double-click on the texture in the layer stack, and the texture image will open up as a PSB document.  You can then add layers to it, apply filters, paint, or do any of the bazillion other things you normally do in Photoshop.  You'll find that whenever you're doing any 3D painting work, there are always some things that are still better done on the canvas than directly on the model surface.  It's usually best practice to arrange your workspace such that the model and the canvas are both visible at all times, so you can easily paint on either one, at any given moment.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.