Need a new laptop, heres a few

Zak Kozlov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Helloo!

My laptop just broked , kinda ... I need a new one to play SL

my budget is low and i picked a few on a good computer selling website from Canada

I dont know which one would be best for SL

Ill show you them and tell why i picked each one and my toughts about them

if anybody could look at each of them specs and tell me which one would be good and best for SL , it would be awesome

sorry for my bad English

Toshiba Satellite C670

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2063213&CatId=4935

This one is basicly the same i had that just broked with a slightly better CPU ( 2.0 to 2.2 )

Maybe a bit too big screen for me , so unless its really the better choice on the specs for SL ... i'd grab a less big screen

the graphic card do look pretty good for the price and I think its what matter most for SL

Graphics Description     Integrated GraphicsGPU/VPU     

Intel HD Graphics

Video Memory     up to 1696MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Acer Aspire AS5750-6828

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1277085&csid=_21

The screen size is more what im looking for

for the rest its pretty much like the toshiba, but less specification about the graphic cards, so i'm not sure

and more RAM , which is kinda gewd

The next 2 seem really more awesome than the first 2

BUT  .. they have ATI Radeon graphic card

I had one before , and it was a nightmare for SL ... and i learned that ATI cards and SL are really not friends

but lets see ...

LENOVO Z575/AMD

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1601998&csid=_21

general more better specs than the 2 first ones

it have a ATI Radeon HD 6620G ... but my google searches told me this card work really awesomly with SL , anyone can confirm this ?

I'm not sure if the CPU is better than the 2 first ones too, i dont know enough to tell ... but i know the numbers are lower for the CPU hehe .. but its also another kind of CPU completely i think ? so maybe its irrevelent

also .. LENOVO ? what's that brand ? good ? Never heard of .. EVUR

HP Pavilion g6-1c60ca

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1586912&csid=_21

The CPU really look great on that one , the best of them all ... but again I dont know much on that side

also have a ATI card - AMD Radeon HD 6320

Which my googling about didnt found that it was specialy good with Second life ... so , I dunno

*Disclaimer.......I'm no laptop fan

----------------------------------------

All the laptops you listed use intergrated graphics....either intergrated into the CPU (the Intel HD) or intergrated into the motherboard of the comptuer.  They all will probably work with SL at low to, possibly, med settings on the graphics.  But, I would not tell you that any would work at all........the graphics are weak in each of the computers you listed.  The CPU speed is relatively unimportant.....SL requires a decent CPU but it certainly does not require a very fast one (all modern CPU's will handle SL just fine).  At the price range you seem to be stuck at you will not find a laptop that has a discrete (or dedicated) graphics processor.......and highly doubtful that any laptop you purchase at that price range will even have a slot in it to add a discrete card at a later time (you need to be in the $1500 range or above for something like that).

Personally (if someone held a gun to my head) I'd go with the HP.

Hi Zak,

you wrote it yourself: "my budget is low".

So if your budget is low why don't you go for a desktop PC? Most people I know who use laptops are using their machines at home on a desk for 99% of the time anyway. At least I did. And the little time we actually spend on the road, do we really need to log into SL? I will go on a 5 week overseas travel soon and will not take any computer with me. This is a good opportunity to "break the habit" and get rid ofr my SL addiction :)

(well, I guess I'll take my subnotebook with me, which isn't up to running SL but will enable me to check emails and surf a little.)

A desktop will give you much better performace at a much lower price. And once you have a desktop computer you can always upgrade it piece by piece and save money again. My personal tip: have a machine made for you. Many websites give you the option to "build" your dream machine, so you can have the parts that you want and leave out all the unnecessary stuf. Or ask the guys your local computer store to assemble a computer for you. That's what I did anyway. And since I got that desktop my SL became so much better!

Thanks for the quick awnsers :D

I'm really not expecting mega performance there, i know that hehe

the laptop that just broken was having even less specs than those and i was OK happy with it on low settings

before that i had a monster computer of 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 260 of 2GB VRAM , CPU i7 2.67GHz ... I could run SL with every little settings maxed out and run at 30-40 FPS hehe I sold it for a plane ticket to go to my luv RL who i met in SL hehe

It's a big drop hehe but im happy with low settings anyway

the question is which would be the best possible of those, I know none will run super good

The HP have a AMD Radeon HD 6320

is this one compatible with SL ? ATI cards are mostly a nightmare with SL I think hehe ... maybe its no longer the case

For Desktop .. well , alot of chances that i need to travel again and again in near futur

plus , if i go with Desktop ... I need to buy a monitor and junk too, so the difference of the price  likely go to all those side things and so I couldnt afford bigger specs than a laptop at the end. When i buy a new desktop , its gonna be in the 2k and its gonna be a bigger beast than i had before hehe

Hi,

I took a look at some benchmark numbers (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_range_gpus.html) and you won't be getting great performance from any of these computers.  The couple of benchmarks I looked at were pretty close and likely don't represent any noticable difference in the real world.

On the intel side I am pretty sure that the i3/i5 second gen cpu is what you want.  I have run SL for a very few minutes, on an i3 with results that you apparently would find satisfactory. 

I have no experience with the AMD chips in a laptop so I cannot speak to those. 

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.