Temporary textures questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am confused with the temporary textures. Its a free thing in Firestorm viewer, I use it to post watermarked photos on the preview boards, that way I don't need to meet clients and they can come any time and take a lok at what I made. I use it because I usually make few different versions and upload them as temporary, untill they choose which ones they want. For more than a year I had no problems with it. Every person could see every temporary texture.

Now the situation... Few days ago I uploaded 4 of them (temporary) and applied on the boards. Sent messages to clients (both were offline). Later that day one of them messages me and says its all fine, she likes them. She orders 2 more. 

The next day SL had maintenance and the sim was down for a while. 

Today I upload  those 2 new temporary photos, apply them on boards and call her. She teleports and tells me she can't see new photos, they are grey for her. She can see the old ones (I didn't remove them from the boards) but second one was grey for her.  I saw them all.

Now, I've heard that, in order to see temp textures, a person needs to be in the same region with me when I upload them. I did a test with one girl to confirm that. Its true. 

I also heard that temp textures dissapear after the sim restart. 

What confuses me is that some people see them and some don't.  Also, how can a person see one textures as grey if they're all uploaded at the same time? I can't find a pattern...

I use phoenix and know that when using temp textures generally the person needs to be in the sim at the time I upload for them to see; otherwise, it is gray.  I know when I log off that the texture goes away in inventory...sometimes, when I log back on the next day, I can see it fine...others it is just gray.  It may be a viewer function...may be a quirk that is now being remedied.   I really don't know.  Have you asked them what viewer they are running?

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

I know when I log off that the texture goes away in inventory...sometimes, when I log back on the next day, I can see it fine...others it is just gray. 

I am pretty sure that's because of the temporary nature of these textures, they aren't stored on a LL server, but instead you use them from your local cache (your hard disk). So as soon as you see enough textures to overwrite your cache, or if you clear your cache, the textures will be gone.

Thank you for your answer:)

Every person is different, and not once I had people who wanted to see many examples. One time I had a client who wanted to be sure I got a specific angle of her avatar, so I uploaded around 30 temporary textures and displayed them for her to choose from. It saves alot of work for me, imagine I spent hours editing one of her photos and she said its not the angle she likes?

I'm a poor girl. If there is an option to use free upload I want to use it. My products are not expensive, and every single one of them is a custom work. If you hired me you would get at least 2 different examples to choose from, and the one you choose is uploaded again, as permanent texture:) 

I went back and tested some temporary textures using both Phoenix and Firestorm.  It is hit and miss what can be seen the next day or by others...is also hit and miss if the person is in the sim when texture is uploaded.  Is no pattern from what I can see, but I didn't spend a lot of time on it either since I don't use the methods you normally use them for.

Might check the JIRA.  Also, you might look at Picasa. Fotobucket, or another source where you can post your work then take it down after a certain time if temps textures are not working for you.

30 textures are very few . Think about the torley's free pack textures or other free organizers used by builders  : several dozens of thousands of textures uploaded for free but who costed to the owner

Local textures are more useful than temporary textures . Because you don t need to upload 2000 textures to pick up or choose which texture is the best  and it saves me some laggy texture organizers.

You may show the result of your work , by a screen sharing program . There are a lot of  screen sharing programs who are frees with limitations but enough useful for second life

With local textures + screen sharing program , it s perfect for me : the customer may see in real time when i pick up an another texture  . And we may even discuss together about the tint of the texture inside gimp/paint.net/photoshop 

I have always thought it was more useful to test on the aditi grid when i need to test some textures before upload  than using these crap temporary textures.

You don t force the buyer to be online when you upload your textures . With temporary textures you do.

And there is always some boring sim crasher/griefer  who guesses/knows you upload temporary textures and who wants to annoy your work 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.