Can't load today's new updated viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a computer only a year old:  i5 series.  Very good machine. But when I try to load the today's newest update of the viewer.. i get messages like cannot write this file, that file (all graphics, plugins write extensions of .dll)  What should I do?  There are too many  "cannot write" to ignore.  I uninstalled the old viewer for a clean install of this newest one... so now i cannot log into SL at all.

Any suggestions?

Are you trying to install from the website or saving the setup file to your computer?  I suggest saving the setup file to your desktop (so it's easy to find), then shutting down your computer for a minute or so (don't simply restart, shut it down as if you are leaving for the evening).  Then install the viewer from the setup file you saved.

Run the install program as an Administrator, generally right click and Run as...

Disable your anti-virus before starting the install.

You may have a bad download. Download another copy. Save it with a different name and compare the sizes of your previous download. Get a copy of the Beta Viewer while you are at it.

Peggy makes a good suggestion about placing the install file on the desktop to make it easy to find. I'll suggest you save the download in a place where it is easy to find. After the install save the file. Keep it until the next upgrade. When the next upgrade installs and WORKS... then delete the old file. It has saved me a bunch of times.

If you decide to run more than one brand of viewer, as many of us do, read: Second Life Clean Install. It will explain somethings and help you be sure your install is CLEAN.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Run the install program as an Administrator, generally right click and Run as...

Ditto that.  I have to do that every time.

My system: CPU: Intel i7-3770K Memory: 16GB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.