Want to know how someone can see another person IM. And know what they said to someone

CathyD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Someone copy and pasted a IM form one person to another the one that did it was not in the IM copyed passed it back to me in another IM was told firestorm telling him my IMs and what I say and do

4 answers to this question

Make sure you arent wearing any odd objects that might have a script in them . Look in your worn tab of your inventory. Its pretty hard to snoop in on somones Im . If I had to guess. the person you chatted to probably shared it. But thats hard to prove also.. chances are, the only way would be you wearing an attachment they have given you at some point that relays your chat to them which is against TOS

The only ways a third party can see your IMs to someone are;

1. One of the two people shows the IMs to the third party (and possibly lies about it)
  2. Someone has access to the IM log of one of the two people, either by physical access to the computer or via a keystroke logger or something
  3. The third party is someone from LL, investigating an AR, or is from a law enforcement agency and has a warrent.

There is no way an attachment can log your IMs if you're using any viewer I've ever heard of.    I'm reasonably experienced in writing scripts with LSL and RLV both, and there's no function in either that could possibly do it.   Log open chat, yeah, but not IMs.

Unless there has been some serious hacking into the Linden Lab servers, there is no way anyone can intercept and IM to or from either themself or the person the IM was sent to..........that's very unlikely and you can bet your next 5 years worth of stipends that LL would be all over it and they would notify every user of SL about the breach (as they did a few years ago when a breach of their servers occured). 

As has been stated already, it's a serious ToS violation to post (or otherwise divulge) anyone's IM without prior consent from all the parties involved in the IM exchange.......AR the individual who gave you the copy of the IM you said they gave you (in my opinion, if you do not do that, then you are just a guilty of the privacy violation of the ToS as the person who originally copied and sent the IM to the first person and the person who recieved the IM and sent it to you is guilty).

There are several ways one can obtain an IM from others.  None of them are legal except if the person gave it to them (and they had prior persmission to do so).  You're dealing with, at the very least, low level criminals or liars.  An IM can be easily fabricated.....it only takes a bare minimum word editor to do so (Window's Wordpad would work great).  Get away from these people...........after you AR the person who forwarded the IM to you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.