Question about rigged mesh

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There seems to be a plugin for Blender 2.61 and previous that rigs the object for SL skeletons. Are there tutorials or other plugins that adds SL rigging for objects created or imported in other software? For example, Hexagon/Daz Studio/Poser. For example if I created a simple tube in Hexagon, then used Daz Studio to export it as a collada .dae, what steps do I need to take to rig it into SL skeleton so it conforms when worn?

There is a long tutorial about setting up a base file for doing rigged mesh for SL: Second Life Mesh Clothes Blender 2.6 Setup 2012 Tutorial.

The basic steps are:

• Append the armature and avatar mesh from either a Domino Marama or Gaia Calry file to a new Blender file. Links to the files are in the tutorial.
  • Bring your new mesh into the file.
  • Parent it ot the armature.
  • Use Gaia's Copy Bone Weights to get a beginning set of vertex weights. 
  • Do your weight painting.
  • Export the mesh.

That is over simplifying, but it is the basic steps. The tutorial take 9,000+ words to say the same thing. :/

Suki Hirano wrote:

Yeah I read that thread, it seems to be for blender only. So SL rigging only supports Blender I suppose? Or at least I gotta import projects into Blender to rig.

No, it doesn't only support Blender. People have successfully brought in rigged mesh from Max and Maya as well. It is just that I'm not sure if anyone has tried to experiment heavily with Daz/Poser collada yet. The .dae format can be implemented in vastly different ways in different programs. So, there is no guarentee that the Daz or Poser .dae will be compatible. So, it is a "try and see" situation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.