Need a solution

Rozmere1488304371

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am needing to produce a tattoo for the hip of avatars but it get's WAY to pixelated on the 1024 body texture. Is there a "pants pocket" type prim/mesh/sculpt/whatever that has a high resolution texture that I can retexture (a blank template would be great) that I can make this little tattoo have the detail I need? I've been trying to get help with this on SL for over 5 hours now and no one will even talk to me so any help is appreciated.

The short answer is no. 

The only way to make tattoos is to use SSL avatar templates or you won't be able to wear it.

You could just import the texture and put it on a prim, but it won't look at all like a tattoo as it wouldn't follow the curve of the body.  If you used a sculpt or mesh prim, it may look better when standing still but as soon as you move it won't look like a tattoo but a prim attached to your body.  You would probably also need to do a baked texture for it so that the designs lays correctly on the prim.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

If you used a sculpt or mesh prim, it may look better when standing still but as soon as you move it won't look like a tattoo but a prim attached to your body.

That depends on the bodypart I suppose. Some parts ge more deformed by personal settings and avatar physics than others. I think for the hip you have a good chance of getting nice results, although not perfect. Very round parts like breasts or bottoms, which even wobble because of the physics are impossible though. When Qarls deformer (ever) gets out, we might have the perfect solution for this issue, simply offset a small part of the avatar mesh and rig it to the av as a piece of clothing.

You would probably also need to do a baked texture for it so that the designs lays correctly on the prim.

No need to bake anything, but you do need to UV map the object..maybe that's what you ment?

Regarding detail and pixelation, I'm afraid its even worse than that:  You may be working with a 1024 texture for the lower body template, but SL uses 512 x 512's internally, so the first thing SL will do is make your pixelated tattoo even more pixelated.  Especially for detail work, you would be well advised to do the scaling to 512 yourself, before you upload to SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.