future machinima toolset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

except for some commerical ventures-- such iclone, massive,  and movie*some*or*other-- no one has really made software that focuses on machinima. half life and unreal has apis that you can use.  unity has api that you can use. even gargegames has apis. but no one deals with machinima itself. and there is no open source at all.

but i feel there needs to be more machinima features. i could cover some of this, but i would rather hear from you.. one that second life can deal with, one that opensim with the right client can deal with.

we cant do anything about second life server, but i think we can do something about the client. and  opensim, we can do something and maybe get LL involved after the fact. i would rather LL be involved from the start.

what do you want for your future machinima ?

i know that the sl client had the abiility record an avatar actions and replay them. i think its still there somewhere. but no clue on what you use to edit the actions or how to combine  them with other actions. they also had a video that would work, but never got it to work for myself. i use fraps instead. but fraps is good at capture actions but you need additional software to to do the clips.

if you look at iclone 5 is has the ability to do mocap including kinect. for $150, you do a kissing that is actually on the lips not in the middle of the head.

the problem is that every software developer works on their own version and rarely interface without anything else.  for example, there is 3D animation in DAZ but you can not use to the advanced features because its in their format.  you can use bvh like in poser but cant import your terrains or objects.  blender has collada for sl.  well kinda. but why have an sl version for export?

maybe one of the feature of sl client is to have a gateway that you use  for you developments and connect with the sl client.  they do that with several software now so it allows it to "xchange it" -- like zbrush and maya.

then you can work on the machinima toolset and interface it with the sl client and see the action. you can even have kinect until you are blue in the face and then send over the bvh files.

i wish machinima.com never went down..this would have been a perfect topic there..

it was a great central meeting place when it was up for all programs and platforms to meet up..

so much good work came form there..

Second life would have thrived there..

i used to make old  unreal tournament movies..

i loved the screen capturing you did with unreal movie maker..

i agree it would be great if they came up with a program based on SL where we could place cameras and set up actors and saves to a file marker..hopefully pathfinding will help also with some of this ..

i really miss making machinima..but fraps really just didn't do anything for me..because i could get awesome quality and compression the way unreal movie maker captured..

plus you could load demo's to it as well that really took up hardly any space..it was like a time recording and just replayed  events..then you could record captures from that as well..

would love to see something like that converted..

i still have my books from machinima.com  you could order plus all my old programs from back then..

things from all the way back to 2000 for machinima..

i think most of the programs can still be found on the net..

they may be open source..but i don't remember..i would have to look on the hard drives i have them on..

i did create circus mischief group in sl but havent done much with it. there are two goals:

-phantastic faeries, escape from wonderland, and other stuff

-finding new ways to do machinima

right now, i see the iclone can use  DAZ  animations for its animations i dont know how much can be done but  i would rather have a virtual studio where a few projects are done and there is characters, buildings, clothing, and then return with the video project is over. just like a real studio. maybe  mischiefworks studio.

some of it can be done by an external program such as blender/blender game engine. but then someone has to build the interface from the bge to sl.  something like realXtend did with their blender/ogre/realxtend server.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.