Uh....Problems Connecting?

Ikiro Tryce

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So basically, my internet connection is fine. Please understand that. Though it should be pretty obvious because I'm posting this right now, and that requires an internet connection.

That being said, I keep getting an error message when I try to log into SL. I've tried both the official viewer and firestorm and neither is working right. So...what's up? It gets to the region handshake and quits working, and tells me to check my internet connection or that there might be a problem with the grid.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there some way to fix it? This is the second time this has happened to me...it happened last week. And it's getting pretty annoying.

Oh, computer specs.

HP Touchsmart Tm2

1.3 Ghz Intel processor

6 GB Ram

ATI Mobile Radeon HD 4550

Windows 7 Professional, 64 Bit

Uh...using wifi, high speed internet roadrunner, dunno the specifics on my connection, to be frank.

The Firestorm and SL viewer were both the latest version.

I took a picture of the error message.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1708/errorqy.png

Update: I realized I had peerblock active, I think that was what caused it this time. I'm so dumb. v_v

Thank you for your help.

4 answers to this question

does secondlife.com still load up? I had a problem where secondlife.com wouldn't load unless I was using a VPN.. but community.secondlife.com was fine which was annoying if it doesn't then try this hit WinKey+R - Type CMD click OKAY.
Type in without quotations "tracert www.secondlife.com"

Then it will connect to www.secondlife.com and display all the servers it has to go through to reach the Linden Lab (Second Life) servers.

If it goes through and says Trace Complete with "216.82.2.17" as the last line then you can connect to the servers and it's something else... if not then wherever it stopped is a down server.

When I phoned up Virgin Media (My ISP) about this they told me to do this I read out the line it stopped at and they told me it was one of their servers and so I had to connect through their proxy until it was back up which only took a few days. - If this is the issue then phone up your ISP.

The solution above seems like what is most likely your issue, everything below this is just general troubleshooting connectivity.

If you can Trace all the way then the basics can be this...
- Check your Firewall and Internet Security a recent update might have blocked Second Life... http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Engli…

- Check your account isn't banned Linden Labs will email you if it is... but you can also log into Secondlife.com click Account > Account Summery. should say under "Your Current Status:" whether you are active or not if you are active then woo no worries...

- Try and log into a different region...
Choose Me > Preferences.
Click the General tab.
Under Start location, choose Show on login.
Click OK.
Reload Second Life and type in a region just type 'Pooley' there.
Then hit log in.

- Try Using a VPN download HotSpot Sheild and run it, then log in and if it loads through then it is a problem with your ISP and you will need to phone them up.

• Like 1

Ikiro Tryce wrote:

.....It gets to the region handshake and quits working........

From Knowledge Base http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109#Section_.1.1

Waiting for region handshake

The "Waiting for Region Handshake" message occurs when the Second Life Viewer does not receive an acknowledgement from the server.  The usual cause of this error is a firewall blocking UDP packets. Reconfigure your firewall to resolve this problem.

For information on how to configure firewalls, see:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.