how can i hide the music URL on my parcel so people can't steal it?

Gregg Torgeson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

If it's your stream, is there no way to block others from accessing it from outside of SL?  Not allowing other connections or password protecting the connection somehow?  I'm not all that familiar with how to stream music, not at all actually, but I would think that you have control of it from outside of the viewers.  Just a thought.  I hope you find an answer for it.

Tini

• Like 1

I'd second Tini's view.  It's better to control access on the streaming server than to rely on SL.  The reason is simply that once anyone finds your stream's URL by whatever means they can connect to it outside of SL anyway.

[Edit to remove a load of rubbish that the OP had already explained]

Edit again:  This one is really bugging me,  The problem is that your streaming server only knows people's IP address (from the request for the stream) and in SL you only know the name and UUID of avatars.  Trying to match avatar to IP address is against the TOS since redzone though so I can't think of any way you're allowed to limit the stream to certain avatars :-(

• Like 1

I think the problem was that a lot of people didn't realise that turning on Admin Options (which many people do anyway because that renders no-fly restrictions inoperative) exposed the URL. And, ultimately, if you're streaming music to my PC, you have to send my PC the URL for it to work, so I'm going to know what it is if I'm bothered to look.

The fact some people were abusing parcel media to sniff people's IP addresses in an attempt to detect alts certainly didn't help matters, either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.