Options for collaboration?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiyas all :) 

So I have decided to try to earn some Lindens by providing original and unique textures based on my own RL photographs to both builders and fashion designers. 

In order to allow that idea to be successfull I would like to ask if there are possibilities to collaborate that way? And if so, what demands do you as a builder or a fashion designer have regarding those textures in terms of resolution, size, type of file, uniqueness, seamlessness and so on? 

Samples are in the making but I can tell you that my style is all about (geometrical) patterns created from all of my RL photographs that have interesting lines or patterns in them. An image of a beautiful / extraordinary RL building may end up as a unique SL texture! 

Feedback is greatly appreciated :D 

Thanks in advance, regards,

Arenna

Speaking as a builder creating an urban build at the moment.

Highest resolutions as possible, so 512x512 or 1024x1024.

Type of file being PNG or TGA as they are lossless formats.

Seamlessness is always nice, often it's okay if it's seamless in only on direction (horizontal), but seamlessness in two directions allows it to be repeated for higher density or over a larger surface.

Not sure what you mean by uniqueness?

I would say at least 512x512 resolution, since they are still pretty efficient but look good. I love packs that come with 512x512 and 1024x1024.

Are you making art textures, like modified photographs, or are you considering using elements of your photos to create repeated patterns?

I will buy non-seamless textures for some things, but I almost always prefer seamless. Again, I do the happy dance when a creator includes seamless/non-seamless and even shaded versions. 

Oh! And please don't use an alpha channel if your texture is not intended to be an alpha texture lol. I have been annoyed at several textures lately because I had to download them, remove the alpha channel and upload again. Extra work and L$ doesn't make me very excited to purchase from that vendor again.

I usually upload my own textures as .tga files. They seem to look the best and I don't have to save multiple copies in different formats- tga works in Gimp :)

Hiyas Nexxi,

thanks for replying, got it :)

As far as the uniqueness is concerned I guess it's the old choice between creating something I really like myself that doesn't sell, or creating something that sells reasonably well but isn't in my own top 10, so to speak. So therefor the question, how much uniqueness can builders/designers get away with? 

Ofcourse taste and experience play a huge part in that personal decision, but apart from the option to do both i.e. create both categories I'd still like to ask your opinion ;)

Thanks! 

Hi Rosemaery,

thanks for replying, got the specs you mentioned :) 

As for your question, at this time I take parts of my images and turn them into patterns. I"ve done that before so it's in my comfort zone. I'm unsure if I can create art textures well enough to be called that, so I'll look into that later.

And thanks for mentioning the alpha channel in your 2nd reply! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.