Maximum PING latency in milliseconds for SL connectivity? Can I use Exede satellite Internet?

Aplonis Ember

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Closing on a new house in one week. Only Internet there is via G4 cell network from Sprint or Verizon or else Exede satellite. Neigbhors report iffy coverage from the cell towers. That and the monthly caps on bandwidth are dreadful. So I'm considering to go with Exede on their new Viasat1 at a nice "up to" 12Mbps and 15BG/month. The question now is ping latency. Waiting for Viasat to answer what I can expect from there. Now I need to know what is required here. Is there a limit? Is it 100ms? 150ms? or what?

3 answers to this question

I would disadvise from using Internet via satellite for all sorts of gaming because the latency is way to high. Alone the time needed for the data to travel up to the satellite and back to earth is around 250ms. Then you need to add the time needed for the request from your home to the service you want to use and the way back to the ISP who will send it up into space. So you're at least at 500ms which will definitely lead to rubberbanding and all other sort of symptoms caused by high latency.

• Like 2

Think of those newcasts where the anchor person (or reporter) is speaking live to some remote lacation via a satellite link.  There is often a delay of a half second or more..........quite noticable to even a casual viewer.  As Ansariel mentioned, you have the delay (latency) induced by the distance the signal must travel is something that cannot be avoided.  Then there's the added latency that is also unavoidable caused by your signal having to travel from your connection to the ISP before it can be transmitted up to the satellite and back down and then transmitted back to your connection.  There is a lot of recieving, signal processing, retransmissions before the data finally gets to your machine.  A half second would be very quick but a half second latency is way too much for SL to run.  If you could even connect to the servers you'd be getting dumped almost constantly (I don't think you could even connect to the servers before the log in failed due to timing out).

Some links that might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_(engineering)

• Like 1

In theory, any ping should work.  In practice, how long can you think ahead to compensate for that when you're moving?  Some activities, like combat, operating vehicles, or safely walking near highways and railways, becomes impossible or exceedingly difficult.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.