Sign in to follow this  
Caoilte Skytower

Is local chat protected from copy and pasting in the same way private IMs are?

Question

Yes, it's true.  Local chat can be heard by everyone within 20 meters.  That does NOT make it OK to relay* it to someone who is not within that area, unless all parties to the conversation have given their permission.

*and that mean "relaying" by any method.  Cut and paste, emailing chat logs, or listening devices.

EDIT:  There are certain circumstances, such as formal roleplay, when the participants are required to give that permission in order to participate.  This is done so that the game moderators can adjudicate disputes.  But it's up to you to decide whether you want to give that permission, or decline to participate.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Yes, it's true.  Local chat can be heard by everyone within 20 meters.  That does NOT make it OK to relay* it to someone who is not within that area, unless all parties to the conversation have given their permission.

*and that mean "relaying" by any method.  Cut and paste, emailing chat logs, or listening devices.

EDIT:  There are certain circumstances, such as formal roleplay, when the participants are required to give that permission in order to participate.  This is done so that the game moderators can adjudicate disputes.  But it's up to you to decide whether you want to give that permission, or decline to participate.

• Like 1

When did private IM's become protected from copy/paste?  Back when I managed a club for a friend I often copied and pasted to Word IM's between myself and my friend for future reference on things he wanted done or not done by management.  Sort like taking notes at a meeting.  He was aware of my copy'paste activities...........in fact it was he idea to do so.

Peggy, I would imagine that in a case like that LL wouldn't do anything. If all parties have given their consent and the IM's aren't being used for griefing, I wouldn't worry too much about it.