I keep getting a DNS can't resolve host name error when I try to log into SL. Help Please?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the past two weeks I have been having this issue. I attempt to log in to seconlife on various viewers on various accounts and each time I get a DNS hostname error. I posted a question here a week or so ago and got a few ideas to fix the problem. All of which have not worked. I'm on a Windows 7 laptop that is wired to the modem. I've attempted the ipconfig /release and renew. I've tried using both google's and various other dns servers. I've tried redownloading my drivers. I've done a ipconfig /flushdns.

I am literally at the end of my rope with this. Is there anyone that can help?

6 answers to this question

Go to this site and check you not infected by a DNS changer malware. http://www.dcwg.org If anything be one less to check.

Reply: I'm at a loss. I assume the computer is your personal one and that the connection is not say a university or work. An antivirus or antiadware could maybe stop it. Removing the veiwers and starting from scratch is all i can think of at the moment. You allready flushed the DNS cache.

ADDED: It maybe your provider blocking you. Hmm you have not been banned by LL?

Thanks for your help anyway. And yes, this is my personal computer at my house and not on a university or work connection. I've checked to make sure my firewall wasn't blocking it and even uninstalled my antivirus, antimalware to see if that was the issue. I'll contact my isp and see what they say about all this.

This is a common problem on Mac computers.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection.

Without that information all we can do is guess. So, you will likely not get the help you need.

====

Google provides public DNS servers. You can learn about them and how to use them at: Google Public DNS.

People often change to Google’s DNS servers because their ISP provided DNS servers… well… they suck. Google’s tend to be really fast, which helps your systems performance a tiny bit. But, in changing you can create some problems for yourself. Some ISP’s place special information in their DNS server that is just for their customers. To avoid walking into those problems it is a good idea to keep one or two of your ISP’s DNS servers in the list. Add a Google DNS server as your first try or primary DNS server. A mix of DNS servers can give you the best of both.

Also, some ISP's block the DNS ports to restrict their users to using their DNS. Colleges and such are known for that. It allows them to block access to sites.

You can learn more about those problems: How to Test a DNS Port

Some ISP’s configure the router to use a specific DNS server. If you ran software to install your ISP’s modem/router you may have that problem. OpenDNS may be able to help with that problem.

====

You can get more information on the problem here: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.