I keep getting DNS errors after clearing cache and restarting, What else can I do?

Ayambik

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just downloaded SL for the first time and after attempting to log on I get the error message 'DNS could not resolve the host name'. Searching around, I found solutions to this being to clear my cache and restart my computer, both of which I have done, but I am still receiving the error.

I can log on to the SL website OK, and the rest of the internet is fine and dandy, why am I having problems?

I'm using Windows Vista and have F-secure anti-virus (although when prompted I click allow Second Life)

EDIT: I have now tried adding the DNS servers suggested below, which solves the MAC issue, but it did not solve it for me. I am not a MAC user.

I also tried downloading the older version of the viewer. This did not solve the problem either.

Any more suggestions please?

3 answers to this question

This is a problem especially for Mac users. See https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627 and consider adding your vote. Meanwhile see the solution here: http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/.

Basically, it amounts to adding the following additional DNS servers to your DNS settings in Network settings under System Preferences:

If you are getting the DNS error on a PC, it may be a different issue from the one the affects Macs, ..... but it may be the same.  Give it a try.

Hello Ayambik. In addition Rolig's answer i have to say that if you still have issues you can downlonad an older versions of viewer 2. As you have already seen in the jira the problem started with the 2.6.3 edition of viewer 2. You will find an older version at the following link (down at the page).

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes

(Most of the older Second Life Viewer versions are still active on the production grid, but are not formally supported by Linden Lab Customer Support).

In F-Secure go to settings>virus & spyware scanning:

uncheck "scan and remove viruses from internet traffic"

There is a way to add excluded files but I have not figured out how to do that yet for SL.

Be sure and turn the turned off settings back on before you use your web browser!!

My laptop (Vista 64 bit) somehow worked it out with F-Secure and SL but my desktop (Vista 32 bit) needed to be tweaked as above.  I will check out what the F-Secure settings are on the laptop next.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.