Downloaded SL Viewer told my Graphcs Card isout of date or not compatible! my laptop is 2 yrs old!

MerimanLongfellow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I used to be on Second Life a few years ago with a much older Laptop, this one is only 2 years old, Radeon 6490M/Core i5 etc; I have just rejoined and paid for a years' Subscription but when I downloaded the new SL Viewer it gave me the Error message saying about the Graphics card etc; I can play any video or play any game on this laptop yet am having these problems! is there an older SL Viewer I can download and use?

2 answers to this question

According to what I can find, the AMD Radeon HD 6490M (sometimes also still called ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6490) is a laptop graphics card for entry level to middle class notebooks, introduced to the market in 2011. The card is positioned in the lower middle class and allows to play current [2011] games in medium detail and resolution settings.  Playing videos and on-line games won't stress that card very much, but you may have a hard time running a program like SL that demands much higher performance from a graphics card. Still, you should be able to run an SL viewer, but probably only on Low to Medium settings.  You might try the Catznip or Singularity viewers if you can't run V3 or Firestorm.

That message, however, is telling you that you need to update your graphics drivers.  See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Graphics-cards/ta-p/700073#Section_.1.5

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.