9-20-2011 crashes when downloading clothes viewer 2 update

Taps Huntress

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Secondlife forced a viewer update upon logging in after the update i tried logging in it gets to downloading clothes and then crashes doesn't say send crash report just closes on me was working fine earlier but now nothing i even trying going to basic mode instead of advanced and still nothing i am using viewer 2 btw on a 2001 dell so yeah my computer and graphics card sucks but logging in has never been this trouble some i even closed peerblock so i could log in without problems someone help please !!!!

4 answers to this question

It sounds like LL finally upgraded the viewer far enough that your old laptop can no longer handle it.  You don't have to upgrade each time a new version is available.  All you need to do is open Preferences and uncheck the little box that authorizes them to upload new versions automatically to you.  You will probably do best to reinstall a previous version of LL's viewer or try a TPV.  You can download viewers that LL still has available from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers.  Third party viewers are at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory .

Hello Taps and welcome to SL Forums. Noone "forced" you to install the new version. You had in your preferences the option "Software updates: Install automatically". If you have problems with the new version download again the previous one and set your software updates no to be installed automatically (Preferences --> Setup --> Hardware). You can find the previous version at the following link:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers

If the problem remains, try a Third-Party viewer:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer​_Directory

Good luck.

(Advice: If you still have problems, try to log in a protected land without lag like Smith or Lime and wait there till your inventory is fully loaded, opening the second tab of it called "Recent")

Hi, I wanted to respond to this, because I had a similar problem.   I solved it by installing the Phoenix viewer and using that. It seems to be much more compatible with my system, which is 64 bit Win7 and ATI HD 4200, which, according to SL viewer documentation, aren't really compatible with the Linden viewer. So, if you have a sub-par graphics card, an older compu, or a 64 bit OS, I recommend trying Phoenix. It can't see mesh, but word has it their new Firestorm viewer will be mesh ready eventually. It's in Beta now. 

For the first time, I can see where I'm going when I fly, and I can see all the cool effects I couldn't see with the Linden Viewer, because I had to turn my graphics settings down so low.  I didn't lose any $L or inventory. You can install them side by side. The only problem I had was that Phoenix requires avatars to have two names, so if you don't have a last name, use Resident for your last name. Hope this helps. 

It doesn't make any difference whether your computer is running a 64-bit or 32-bit operating system. All SL viewers work fine on a 64-bit system, and there's no problem with Win 7. (I do wish LL would remove that note in the requirements page. It IS confusing.) Also, Firestorm 3 (the current Firestorm) handles mesh already. The OP's problem is quite simple. She's running a very old computer and it's just not up to running SL's current generation of viewers any more.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.