Viewer 2.7.1 not compatible with Teamviewer on Win7 SP1 (probably)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't been able to launch 2.7.1 since its release. I would click it and it and Windows would think about running it for all of 2 seconds... with nothing. 

After a bunch of updating / reinstalling / reading crash logs I ran Process Monitor out of frustration. Process Monitor always finds a bunch of problems but the one of the last  was the viewer calling  teamviewer's monitor driver.

Long story short... Quit teamviewer and everything works great. 

Anyone now if this is likely to be a perminant problem? BTW - Teamviewer is a Remote Desktop app.

Thanks!

yes because both viewers require to send a lot of information real time on your internet line, video is a lot of it and sound and 3D content like Second Life is a lot of informations too going at the same time.

quiting teamviewer lets the rest of your internet line avalaible for what second second life needs to run.

if you want to use both at the same time, increase your internet connection.

Thanks for your reply.

My internet conection is currently 50Mb, so I know it's not that. Typically a bandwidwith related issue is not going to cause an app to quit during the very earliest stages of launch (no bandwith is actually being used). Port issues, possilbly. Addionally, Teamviewer had always worked concurrently with SL Viewer (and all TPVs) in the past...this problem appears unique to SLV2.7.1. The connection was not active at the time... just sitting idle in the task bar. Using some ram / CPU cycles for sure, but not really any bandwidth. 

Funnily enough, after posting my solution I saw another post about Pheonix's new version of Firestorm. It works great and similtainiously with Teamviewer (plus the zillion other benefits).

So in the end SL was my viewer of choice for as long as it took me to do a forum post! ~Linden FTW

• 2 weeks later...

Eureka!  I've been having same problem with SL Viewer 2.7 ... it would not launch,  would crash before even displaying "detecting hardware" message.   Shutting down TeamViewer fixed the problem.  This occurs on both Windows 7 and also Vista.   Normally I use Phoenix and that was unaffected, but that is not built on viewer2 code base.  Firestorm doesn't seem to be affected either.

I can confirm that the problem started with SL viewer version 2.7.1 ,  versions up to and including 2.6.9 are compatible with TeamViewer.

Note that this is an issue even if you are not in a remote connection over TeamViewer ... just having the TeamViewer software running on your box will cause SL Viewer 2.7 to crash

my guess? 2.7.1 uses a different API call and teamviewer is intercepting that call and then not playing nice with SL. yes that means a change was made in 2.7.1, but I suspect the bad behavior is actually the fault of teamviewer (which shouldn't be intercepting calls it can't handle)

DISCLAIMER!  This comment pertains to TeamViewer software ... for those of you not familiar with it, TeamViewer is a remote access product,  it is not an SL viewer and has nothing to do with SL or Linden Labs.   However,  a lot of people use it so I'm sure they will be interested to fix this compatability problem.

THE SOLUTION :  disable the "quick connect" feature in TeamViewer.   QuickConnect is the feature that puts a "<=>"  button on all your windows so that you can share them easily.  If you never use this feature then you can just disable it entirely.  Or you can disable it just for secondlife.exe.   In TeamViewer,  go to extras >  options > advanced > show advanced options ... then click on "configure" for QuickConnect button. You can disable it there.

Thankyou Brendan for identifying TeamViewer as the source of the problem,  I literally spent hours trying to figure out why the new SL Viewer 2.7 was failing,  I even logged a support ticket.  I must remember to close that ticket now!

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon,my Windows is 7 SP- 01 / 32 BITS

I usually always use viwer Phoenix and I have no problem to connect to SL but Viwer 2 installed, so only that person can connect, already checked the fireall, I authorized the program and nothing to get connection. Please could someone help me with this. Whenever I try, the message:

"Oh no! Second Life had to close. This region may be experiencing problems. Please check your internet connection."

I do not know what to do. Viwer I want to use this time to be able to organize my inventory since it got two option of opening inventories.

Thank you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.