Login Failure - Unable to resolve host name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every time I try logging into SL a message pops up and says

"Login failed. 

DNS could not resolve the host name.

Please verify that you cant connect to the www.secondlife.com

web site. If you can, but continue to receive this error please go to the support section and report this problem." 

I have uninstalled & reinstalled SL three times. I've tried two different viewers.

Anyone know what I can do?

Same here. Couldn't solve that problem yet myself. I had that already at the last update and after a week all uninstalled and reinstalled. After that it worked. Maybe i must mention I'm on an iMac. Would be interested in that answer too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this comment was in recent build notes for the SL development viewers. They are working on the problem, but have not found where it crept in yet. [ It is probably a bug in one of the third party libraries they use. ]

Log in failure, keeps saying DNS cannot resolve hostname. No real progress on this Jira yet but Mac build was not properly reporting the CURL error string. This check-in fixes that. So far, I have backed out URL related changes between 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 without any change in behavior. Unsure how to proceed next although comparing libcares and libcurl builds between 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 seems like it could be the next logical step.
Users experiencing the problem can go back to vewere 2.6.2 or adjust DNS settings to use the google free DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which should allow them to work around the problem.

There is more information about the Google DNS service here.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had this issue since version 2.5. Even Firestorm gives me this error. I know it's not my computer, and I use Google DNS. It is something within the program itself. I originally got this error back when viewer 2 first came out. But I guess a update later fixed the problem. I used viewer 2 up till 2.5 and boom back comes the error and I have had it ever since.I have talked to the Lindens about it, gave them my login info for viewer 2 etc. Haven't heard a thing more about it.I do see a post every so often with this issue happening with someone else. If viewer 1 (now using Phoenix) ever stop working correctly and this issue is never fixed, there goes my using Second Life.

• 3 months later...

I am new, justed create an account and downloaded the latesd viewer earlier today.  I have yet to connect because I get the DNS error qoated in teh first post.  I AM able to access the second life web page from my browser, and every other web-site that I tried.  DNS is configured properly on ky machine.  (For grins I even pointed ot the google DNS server -8.8.8.8: no joy.)  I examined the firewall settings on my software firewall, and enabled the ports listed elswhere in the knowledge base, also no joy, and checked my router settings as well for the ports.  Also no joy.  If I can not resolve this soon, I will not continue wiht second life at all (no emotional investment: only paind so far!)    Others have had the same complaint.  Nearly all the 'help' for thes complaints on the support page stops and DNS and tell users to set dns settings, which I have already done, and dop not seem to understand whn the user states clearly: BROWSER CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET USING DNS, SO DNS IS CONFIGURED PROPERLY.  IBecause of the frequenfcy of the error,  strongly suspect a bug, thougbI would not swear to it yet.

For what it's worth, the text of the error message and the info on my system, as contained in the about box for the viewer is pasted below:

Login failed.

DNS could not resolve the host name.

PLease verify that you can connect to teh ww.secondlife.com

wegb site.  If you can, bugt continue to recieve this error,

please go to the support section and report this problem.

Second Life 3.2.5 (247236) Jan  5 2012 12:10:23 (Second Life Release) Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz (2992.47 MHz) Memory: 3326 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002) Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3650

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.49-080409a-063305C-Dell OpenGL Version: 2.1.7536 Release

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1 Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Not Connected Built with MSVC version 1600

• 2 years later...

NinouchkaOO wrote:

Every time I try logging into SL a message pops up and says

"Login failed. 

have uninstalled & reinstalled SL three times. I've tried two different viewers.

Anyone know what I can do?

Is that all the message says?

Here are two pages on troubleshooting login failures:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/login_fail

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109

• 7 months later...

I am having trouble with unable to resolve host name I tryed everything uninstall secondlife reininstall and still cant log on can anyone help me here I could got on this morning and this afternoon I cant I turn modem off shut down computer I try everything nothing is happening so what can I do I need someone help. please help me thanks

I have been having this problem since March 1.  I had to restore my laptop to a version of a couple of months ago and since cannot connect to Second Life.

I have tried the following without success:

1) reinstalling SL viewers (Second Life viewer, Firestorm)

2) trying multiple viewers (Second Life, Firestorm, Singularity)

3) cleared DNS cache

4) using Google DNS

5) powering off laptop and router

The problem does not ocur on desktops connected to Verizon FIOS by cable, only on my wireless laptop.  This is extremely frustrating.  Can anyone help?  Please?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.